Author Topic: Fur color on coyote  (Read 8352 times)

Offline dinosuz

Fur color on coyote
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »
The other day I spotted what I was sure was a coyote yet the color seemed wrong (black with white highlights).  Did not want to shoot as it may have been domestic, yet I was out in the middle of nowhere.  Any advice?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fur color on coyote
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
If it has a collar on, its not a coyote.

Just kidding!

Better safe than sorry.
I almost shot a guys german sheapard, as he was walking it,on a farm no one was supposed to be, 8pm(dark) and 8 degrees out.

Maybe ask around or look at the nearest farm for a dog that has the same color

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
I passed on a coyote last spring.  It was all black, big black phase coyote.  I hold the shot at 10-15yds with a shot gun because it was the first time hunting this farm.  I called the owner the next day to see if she had any dogs or any the neighbors.  She said no dogs in the area that she knew.  You can imagine how I felt.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:03 AM »
Outstanding to be safe and not shoot....

Coyotes front legs are twice the height of their front shoulders from bottom where the leg starts to the top of back. In other words they are all front leg.....  This is one way to tell if it's a domestic dog or a coyote...Domestic dogs front legs are not suppose to be longer then this part of their front body...  However you have to be sure...

Domestic dogs IMO (most times)  bark when they are coming to your calling... Coyotes...Those buggers just show up!!!!!!!!Thats how they get that there jump on you.....

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »
In Pa.....I have already actually seen a two pure black coyotes....However most looked like the coloration of German Shepard's...Tan with black on the back.....As you all know/  They can be red or blond in color too....

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »
Here's a domestic, notice the front legs look longer

Here's a coyote

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
I read this in an article one time about the legs...It was one of the well known predator hunters... Might have been Kirk and or even maybe Anderson.....
however looking at the pictures it could be debateable that the domestic dogs legs are longer...Sure looks like the coyotes lets are longer.  However it could be the distance too.. the coyote is so much closer then the domestic dog...If the domestic dog was closer it would be easier to confirm..

Anyway like I said before...I would not shoot a canine based on leg length...It's just something that hunters and trappers might want to measure next time they harvest a Pa coyote.... 

However most times you can tell just how they act....I know that most of the domestic dogs I have called in while calling come in barking at me...Not so for a coyote....

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Outstanding to be safe and not shoot....

Coyotes front legs are twice the height of their front shoulders from bottom where the leg starts to the top of back. In other words they are all front leg.....  This is one way to tell if it's a domestic dog or a coyote...Domestic dogs front legs are not suppose to be longer then this part of their front body...  However you have to be sure...

Domestic dogs IMO (most times)  bark when they are coming to your calling... Coyotes...Those buggers just show up!!!!!!!!Thats how they get that there jump on you.....

I have recently taken a few slams on other web sites for posting this...Looks like I have and always will be around people that their actions speak louder then their words..  Hey good to see this kind of thing...At least you get to know who is friend or foe...Success is winning the respect of a few WORTHY individuals...

Now the leg length.....I  read this in an article..I am passing on something about coyotes that I read....

However I can truly say here in Pa while calling predators for 25 years,  when a domestic dog has come to my calling it would come in barking...That is a fact Jack...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »
Ub,
Do you take my post as a slam?

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
Nope did not even think of yours as a slam...Keep up the good work...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »
PM returned bud

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »

Old post....Just wanted to say my source for the leg length info was Dennis K I R K 's book Calling Coyotes East and West or his book Calling All Predators.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:33:58 AM by uncle buck »