Author Topic: Amber lens or red lens  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
Amber lens or red lens
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Amber lens or red lens witch is better for nite hunting. I have always used the red lens, it seems to filter the lite better, but the last 2 times I been out hunting I used the amber lens. I will say that it is easier to see at nite with it, but think it is to brite. I had the nite lite extreme turned way down and it still was pretty brite so.

uncle buck

Re: Amber lens or red lens
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
Red lens and Yellow Lens? each have benefits and each have a draw back too...
Read Dennis Kirk books...He starts off in the fox hunting book to tell you to use the red lens light on dark nights and the yellow on special nights..
Then he wrote his newer books..Like anything in calling things change...People who try all kinds of stuff determind...No...One should do this now...So Dennis started saying don't use red lens lights anymore use yellow all the time...

Red is good for night time thats for sure but most lights you can't see the entire fox...Only the eyes....You got to know how something acts to know what it is...Takes many people a long time to learn that...Yellow you can see the animal better then with a red lens...However all the eyes are white like diamonds... So you can't tell if it's a red fox, grey fox, coon, bobcat, or coyote by the coloration of the eyes... ME I like the red lens because I can tell if it's a red, grey, coon, bobcat, coyote, domestic cat, dog, or deer or other critter... Now you start mixing the two...Red lens to ID the eyes and the shooting light yellow or white and your causing your eyes to have a glare when it's time to shoot... See even at sea sailors...Use the red lights on the bridge of the ship at night to see... You start going to the white or yellow at see and you get all kinds of glare.

I would start to us the yellow more often then the red if it works the same as the red...As you know the red lens is your shield. If the yellow also shields you like the red is suppose to then you would be better to go totally YELLOW or EVEN WHITE.  A direct hit of a white beam on a predator means he is gone. yellow too could scare a predator away if you hit it with the direct beam...AKA Light on a dowel rod or broom handle..

If your going red then go totally red...If your going yellow then go totally yellow. If your going to use white then go totally white...
See for safety sake...We do need a light to ID our animals...Then of course you need your shooting light... There are times when a ID light can serve as a shooting light too.

Red, Yellow, and white can be used but you have to know how to use them.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:16:46 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
Old school?    Use yellow aka amber during night time hunts during Full Moon.  Also use amber or AKA yellow lights when there is snow on the ground and it's dark out...Some people will even use white lights then too...
All other times use Red Lens Lights...

Me IMO....I do have a hard time picking up eyes with the red lens lights over what I call dirty or old snow on dark nights.  I will use the yellow lens then.  Also on full moon nights too....

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
There are times when a ID light can serve as a shooting light too. AKA  light on a broom handle or 1 inch dowel rod..  You can ID and shoot with it too if you hold it under the forearm of the shotgun...