Author Topic: Dead skunk in the middle of the road!!!!  (Read 2650 times)

uncle buck

Dead skunk in the middle of the road!!!!
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »
I put this post under furhandling because that is what your doing when you get a  fur like this...Handling it!!!!LOL  LOL

I have seen some beautiful fox killed by cars in my travels.. as you know we can stop, pick it up, and place it in the back of the vehicle...This is good because our animals in Pa are a resource and they should be used not wasted...

However I have yet to do this... Most times I am with the Mrs.....If you knew my wife.....you would know that she just is not too outdoor orientated so...It would freak her out by putting the dead carcass in the back of our family car....   

OK.....this Friday, Saturday and Sunday  I do nto want to see any fur turned in that have Goodyear,  Michelen, or  what that Japanese  Tire Yakamoto embeded into the fur or skin... LOL  LOL

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Dead skunk in the middle of the road!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:12:04 AM »
I've skun out roadkills. Some I picked up, other folks drop off.
You never know until you skun one what's inside. A roadkill may look in great shape and beautiful,  but once you start peel'n the hide you may fine quit a bit of truma. Meat like jello, lots of bleeding, hidden cuts & gashes, crushed skull, broken legs and at times a real mess!
For the most part, a bit more time to skun and flesh roadkills.
An it's funny, some buyers will pick this fur out of the stack and ask...'is this a roadkill'?

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
LOL  that there is Funny about furmen knowing if a fox is road kill or not!! They can even tell if you got one last year too kept it for a  spell andtuirned it in with this year harvest...
What gets me is when they say!!!Got to reduce the price since this red has rubbed a bit...Now to me...You start to think...It don't looked rubbed to me however your at their mercy.....They could be getting cheap fur the first week in Jan that ain't quite rubbed yet.  LOL LOL

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »
UB, an ole, experienced fur buyer I run into years back...
Had a ton of fur to sell. Brother-in-law said there was a huge fur sale in Richmond, Va. We  went.
Thishere fur buyer at one table was looking over my Muskrats and my other fur. He said, 'nice Rats, I see you are from central Pennsylvania.'
'How do you know where Im from?', I ask.
'By your Rats,' the ole fur buyer said.
Seems our region has good Rats and he knew what he was looking at.