Author Topic: Went out lastnight.  (Read 3601 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Went out lastnight.
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »
Walked around lastnight. Started hunting around midnight. First stand saw nothing and the moon was to bright to be in the field. Hear some stuff but never seen eyes.
Second stand did some lip squeaking over a thicket. Nothing.
Third stand called in something. Acted like a fox but could have been a coon. It walked behind a tree and disappreared. I should have sat closer to the caller. Sound was titmouse tantrum very low volume.
Forth stand called with adult rat distress on the edge of standing corn. Nothing
Fifth stand lohman circle long range rabbit on the other end of the standing corn. nothing
On my way home I hear some coyotes carrying on a couple hills over around 3:30am.
sixth stand. Went back to the same valley thicket that I lip squeaked at but used my knight and hale bite style rabbit distress hit it like 11 times and stopped for 30 sec. hit it again like 6 times and heard a fox coming it. When it appeared I stared to lipsqueak to it and it wasn't coming in any closer. I shot and missed it.
I need to go buy another Johnny Stewart PC3 to replace my old one. Had fun but I should have had that last fox. I should have waited him out instead of pulling the shot. Lesson learned.
FayetteNam

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Went out lastnight.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »
what is wrong with your JS caller ian?  sounds like you had some action though.  looks like your having a good start to the season.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
My son ran off with it and I can't find it.. I had so much luck with that mouth call.
FayetteNam

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
What do you work second shift or something to out that late?  Sounds like you had fun though.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
Went out lastnight again.Firearm was my 22 mag. Spooked a deer on the way to my first setup. called anyhow and saw nothing. Walked about 400 yards and called on the edge of a standing corn field and saw eyes with in 2 minutes. by the time I turned my gun light on, it was gone. This happend at about 12 yards. Thinking it was a grey I turned on my foxpro scream-in grey fox. Nothing. So I messed up the other areas close by for the night. Calls used was the FP FX5 voles squeaks between 16-18 volume for 2 minutes then switched to titmouse tantrum low volume before I seen the eyes. After it disappeared I switched to scream-in grey fox at about 22 volumes for 1 sequence. On the way back home I made another stand over looking a valley thicket that I have had a lot of luck in before. Called with the FP raspy woodpecker and heard something on the hillside. A couple minutes later I had something takeoff running behind me. Unsure if it was a fox or a rabbit but it was fast. I left this set up early and when walking I scared something down over the hill. I believe it was a fox from the sound it made going through the brush and was probably the one I missed last week. Down by my house I pulled out my Lohman long range rabbit distress and made some squalls and heard all kind of footsteps coming closer but it was to bright and I couldn't find eyes.
 I drove to one farm I know and had eyes instantly when walking in. I stater to lip squeak and it was running back and forth and to far for me to risk missing it. Finally I moved closer and squeaked again and a rutting buck came out behind me running with it's nose to the ground then went back into the woods. One minute later I squeaked again and it came back out grunting load. Finally I pulled my Quaker Boy rabbit and did a sequence and the eyes appeared . It was a young coon.. I let it go because of where it was located in the tree. Last stand called ,nothing. Howled a little with no response. .Ended my night around 1:15am.
FayetteNam

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »
I very much enjoy the stories,keep them coming guys.Thanks predator77

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »
I went out last night about 7pm.  I got to my first spot where I'm not allowed to be near the pond.  So I set up where I had seen eyes the week before.  I put the Power Dogg out in front of me about 10-15yds.  I started out with the cottontail distress.  After, what seemed for 2mins, I saw eyes in the soy beans about 75yds with my head light.  I turned off the caller and went to my mouse squeeker.  They weren't interested in that at all.  They went left deeper in the soy.  A minute later I heard something running down the other side of the hedge to my right.  Out pops a red, caught wind of me and took off.  I turned the cottontail back on, on low volume for another minute.  I heard something coming the lane to the left of me.  It was another red.  It came within feet of me.  I turned on the western river light on my 17.  I waited for it to get about 10yds to stop it.  The red turned and I could not pick up any eyes with the light.  That is how dim it was.  The red ran off laughing I think.  I turned the caller back on to rodent distress.  Yet another red came from my left, a larger red from the first.  At this point I flipped up the red lens on the light.  That was the end of the fox.  It ran off howling/laughing like a coyote.

Now if I had taken the shotgun out off the truck instead I would have been able to clobber the fox over their heads and would have had better luck.

My second stop of the evening didn't fair as well. First setup I saw nothing.  The second on the way back to the truck.  I set up over a cut corn field.  The only eyes I saw were from either an owl or I don't know.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
Great story Swarter! I went out lastnight for a bit. The evening got started off on a bad note.  My first stand was a spot that I did some dove hunting in this Sept. I got permission to hunt fox,coyote and doves off this farm. I parked my truck off the road and waked about 400 yards to the bottom corner and started to call. About 6 minutes into my setup there was a truck sitting by mine for a good while. I started walking back to the truck with my headlamp on (because it was dark). At about 150 yards from the truck someone started yelling. You better get out of here! I yelled back I got permission. They replied nobody has permission to hunt deer here. I yelled back I'm hunting fox. They replied OH! ok. After causing a scene they drove away. I'm not sure if it was a forgetful landowner, a relative of theirs or someone trying to preserve their hunting spot but that was how my night started. All other stands were a bust. I need to give my spots a rest and hit some of the other farms I got permission for the D vs D hunt in Jan.
FayetteNam