Author Topic: who here is good with electronics?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
who here is good with electronics?
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »
I have a 100yd scope mounted light for on my rifles.  I also have a 250yd optronics one.  both of em need plugged in and I am getting tired of the wires getting in the way.  if you get out and make 5 stands it is nice but many of the fields around where I hunt are good for one stand maybe two at most.  getting in and out of a vehicle cords become tangled.  I would like to take my light I have now and make it so that the battery is in the light itself.  I think there was another brand that was like this for a while.  but I want to make it so that I can put AA or a 9volt in it and then run a pressure switch down to the stock.  the light is a normal 6 volt light that nitelite sells.  it will not be a scan light it will be a light that I turn on for the shot and that is it.  so burn time might be only a half hour at most.  AA batts would be nice that I could recharge then if needed.  any help would be appreciated. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline BP

• long live the ppha
Re: who here is good with electronics?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
You will need 4 AA batteries in series to power a 6V light, but don't expect much run time as the amphours will be very low.  I carry a 6V gelcell in my pocket with a 2 prong thermocouple jack prewired to the battery.  The light on my rifle has the male end of the jack.  Plug in when convenient, hit a paddle switch on my trigger guard when ready for light.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
it looks cheap but i wouldnt trade a good 6 volt lantern mounted on a gun with the recahargeable 6 volt spring battery for anything ive seen so far.

the spring battery is a 6 volt gel but a slightly bigger battery than the average headlamp gel battery,i have no wires 1 click of a swith and it is on mounted to the gun with a weaver base and a weaver scope ring there is no movement,and it would nearly take a hammer to knock it off.

looks is one thing but performance and durabilty is what i go for.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
it is the fourth picture down...lol..that 22 is old bought him a new bull barreel savage 22 mag and he keeps using the old 22.
you can see how the light mounts,with the ring.
with 2 good coats of dykum,it is very easy to id the critter out to 150 yards.
it took this off a site we posted on last year

somefur we shot this year so far
23 raccoons,1 grey,and a female yote.
end of the second week last year.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »
what would the runtime be bill?  I figured with such a small battery the charge wouldn't be there very long.

TO I cannot see your pics here at work but if you are talking about one of the 6volt block style battery I have used them a good bit for shotgun hunting.  I normally use a rayovac one that has a slim handle.  I use it for scanning and shooting.  there is a video somewhere around here with it on.  I am looking for something that is light weight at this point and contained.  I just think with having the battery that big it would be akward feeling.  maybe I am not thinking right on it? 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:07:33 PM »
since it is near the middle of the gun,it isnt noticable,my daughter shoots coons 40 yards off hand,and the weight doesnt bother her,but the no wires out weighs the weight of the battery by a mile,and a rechargeable battery this time of the year is 9 dollars at walmarts in the feeder sections.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
I guess you are mounting this on the bottom of the gun? 

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
 ben look at the pick you mount a remington 700 weaver scope base on the bottom of the light in the middle.which isnt visable,but is easy to do it takes about 10 miinutes to make one.

in the picture the front scope ring has one right beside it upside down,which is visable.you are just putting the light in the base and tighten it up,just liike you mount the scope on the gun only reverse the light sets on top of the scope,just like any bought gun light,but no wires and is mounted much stabler than any production lights which move all over.

t

Offline BP

• long live the ppha
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
what would the runtime be bill?  I figured with such a small battery the charge wouldn't be there very long.

Assuming Optronics 100 yard light, since you refered to 100 yard and 250 yard(no other light manufacturer uses yards to differentiate between models) and assuming you use top of the line non-rechargable AA batteries, the run time would be 21 minutes on fresh batteries and ideal circumstances.

That's why I pack the big battery in my pocket.  Wireless is for computers, phones, and LED's.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »
burnahm brothers used to make a gun mount light that took 2-9 volt batteries

heck they still make it

http://www.burnhambrothers.com/product.asp?ProductID=18662
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:43:53 PM by TROPHIESONLY »