Author Topic: Head lamps  (Read 5358 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Head lamps
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »
Can you guys name some brands for me look at.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Head lamps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »
NIGHTLIGHT company

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
PPHA District 3

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
Petzel head lights are a good choice too.....Some come with red lens or you can order red lens for them.... They work on AA batteries. Light weight and you do not need to carry that heavy battery on your side...

If you do choose to carry the Nitelite batteries on your side... Invest in one of their Nylon web belts with suspenders...Remember to get a size larger then your normal belt size so that you can wear it on the outside of winter clothing too....
Their leather battery belts are not half bad either...Again think normal larger then your normal belt size.  You can always add a additonal hole by using a hammer and a empty  222 or 223 rifle case...Put a piece of wood under the area of the belt you intend to make the hole in too....

When I do use the Nitelite ......I like the Wizard lite....Did not see any packages for the Wizard on the previous Huntsmart web link???????????  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:50:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
What happened to that guy at the Expo who was building headlamps?

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
Learn how to use all kind of lights for hunting...Head both with the Cap and the Strap type.  Also make sure you use some kind of light to track in coming game...The head light can be used to see the eyes coming in and also to shoot with it...You can even attach a scope light to a broom handle or 1 inch -3/4  dowel rod as a light to check for eyes and then hold it under your forearm of your gun to shoot...This is a good set up for the shotgunner....You can also attach a light to your scope or to the underside of your barrel this would be your shooting light.. Never use this light to scan for incoming eyes or to ID a predator.
using a light on a broom handle and a red dot scope type light in combination can also be a deadly set up...I'm not talking about Muller regular scopes. I am talking about Holosight dot scope on a shotgun... I only like to use the Holosight with the shotgun if I see the predator coming in from afar...Going high tech like this can explode in your face if the fox just shows up feet in front of your from no where...  Learn to light up the bead with something and this most times is the best shotgun method....Simple...Aim the illuminated bead at the incoming predator and the shot is made fast.. using the red dot at fast right on top of you predators usually ends up in misses...Unless you practice practice practice with this set up and make fast shots at incomings...

A C cell Brinkman and or a D cell Brinkman with a red and or yellow  lens attached to a broom handle makes and out standing shooting light.

You can also use the top of your head light as a white light to light up the bottom of the entire predator ...Get a Nitelite hat that has the swivel on the hat...Aim the white light over the horizon.  Allow the bottom of the white light to light up the predator...Do not shine the light right at the incoming predators eyes...This is a very good set up since you can see the entire predator  when it's time to shoot but you have to just use the bottom of the light to light up the predator..

Alo you can also have the person that is controlling the call or doing the calling to take a spot light and drop it ever so slowly down from the horizon and light up the predator with the bottom of the beam...Again this takes team work... You have to let the shooter know when your going to light up the fox with the bottom of the beam....  

I use Nitelite,  Strap head lights,  broom handles or dowel rods,  dot scope,  lights attached to scopes, lights attached to barrels, spot lights, swiveled head lights... learn to use them all.......

Get to be good using all of this.....Or use the one that works best for you.......  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:06:57 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
western rivers at h&r hunting supply

tims hunting supply
  swarter2, what are you expecting out of a light,cost, longevity,brightness???
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:44:12 PM by foxtrot »

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »
Just looking for a good light for hunting at night to catch eyes.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:05:29 AM »
another site that has lights
http://www.blosehollow.com/
PPHA District 3

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »
Blosehollow is where i but the Wizard light headlamp and scope light.  2 lights run off one battery.   don't remember the owners name but was a really nice guy to talk with. 

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
He makes some good wine also

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »
Randy Troutman

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Valley creek hunting supply .com

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
a small led red headlamp on a strap,and a good gun light.

the small led will light up eyes like a christmas tree at 100 yars or better you dont see a beam but they light up and you wont burn them a bit,

try it you will be suprised you can see 10 yards in front of you and thats about it but way out where there is no beam the eyes are like fire.

i wear my 6 volt and even when i dim it there is a beam out to the animal which the animal i think sometimes notices the stuff around it and becomes scared,it has never happened with the leds which we use on stand.

once we see eyes in a shootable position the gun light goes on the shooter  and the fur flies.

try a led,they work great,if your afraid of the dark dont buy one,stick to your bulb light with a big beam.even with the minor beam the led throws you can identify your target through the scope.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
What happened to that guy at the Expo who was building headlamps?

i heard there not very bright and they havent made a red lense cover but one fellow made one and it cut the beam down tremendously.