Author Topic: decoy or not to decoy that is the question  (Read 4319 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
decoy or not to decoy that is the question
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
who here uses a decoy while calling?  daytime? nightime?  species?  type of decoy? 

as many here might be aware you can use any decoy for all furbearers.  the two best critters I have found that a decoy works for is grey foxes and bobcats.  both during the day.  and sometimes at night when it is a bright night out.  I normally use a jack in the box but I have also tried a few others over the years.  those including the whirling woodpecker along with various stuff animals. 

the whirling woodpecker decoy is a good decoy.  but for some reason the bats die quickly in it.  normally about an hour is max.  I even installed a potentiometer in one to slow the wing down to save the batterys.  it turned out to be more of a pain then anything.  I lost the wing and that is what ultimately keeps me from using it now. 

the stuffed animals I thought would work great.  I mean it is hard to screw up a stuffed animal but the ackwardness of carrying them to a stand ruled them out quickly.  they could not be collapsed and stuffed into a pocket. 

the jack in the box I like and normally is the one I go for but the size of the unit is an issue.  and even with how big the box is on it I still have problems with it staying standing while dancing.  I also find myself worrying about if it is working rather then watching for critters.  of course you can plug the JIB into your foxpro caller and turn it on and off with a remote. 

One thing I want to try this year is a feather on a short piece of string.  something simple that will work no matter what.  never dies on ya and with a slight breeze it moves.  I plan on using this more for cats then anything though.  I am curious as to weather a grey will respond to it.  I plan on making my own though out of a fan feather of a turkey and some white marabo feather tied on both sides at the base of the feather.  coupled to a aluminum arrow shaft with a short piece of heavy duty line and a snap swivel.  I think the action will be good and won't take much room in transport. 

what are you guys thoughts opinions on decoys?  I think most of em are designed to hook hunters rather then critters.  most of the times I used one I shot the critter before he had moved toward the decoy basically as soon as I seen him or the critter was allready commited and just noticed the decoy at the last minute.  greys are the ones I notice the most with this.  they will come charging through the woods and once they notice the dancing critter they normally stop and survey the situation a bit more.  somtimes they continue to play with the decoy others the bug out and keep on moving through the area.  depending on your setup though it can help take the focus off of you.  most of the times when I have seen someone use a decoy they are using it with a e call of some sort.  so is the decoy pulling the focus of the hunter or is it the e call?  alot of variables. 

now a days though you have these companys that make a decoy of the critter you are hunting.  like a coyote or fox.  I know that there are a few full body decoys out there.  the edge line of decoys have a red fox that has a fuzzy tail.  along with a coyote decoy.  flambeu has their lone howler decoy.  could be just more stuff to carry to a stand.  I do not have any experience with these type of decoys.  hopefully someone with knowledge of these decoys can drop in. 

in the end to decoy or not to decoy that is the question.  LOL.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: decoy or not to decoy that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
I use a turkey feather attatched to a three foot dowel rod with a swivel and some fishing string.  I use it during the day for coyote and last year for bobcat.  Can't say that it helped with putting more animals to sleep but it never hurt me.  I am a believer in using them during daytime hours especially when I'm alone.

I have a friend who hammers turkeys with a real turkey decoy.  He did a quick mount job on a gobbler and its like a magnet when they see it.  I might try a real fox the same way.  I won't always be able to use it but on those quick and easy sets, why not.  If it works everyone will be doing it.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »
I haven't used decoys enough to give a good opinion.  I did have a Foxpro Jib  but as Ben noted the size didn't fit my style.  Also it seems to be a bit low to the ground.  Last year I gave it to a friend that moved to WY.  I figured he would have better use for it there.

Just this week I ordered one of these. 

http://www.tail-wagger.com/predator.htm

I did some research and liked the movement and simplicity.  I'm gonna give it a shot this year and see if it makes a difference. ;)

bootmud

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
i have bought decoys but the 2 best producers have been this plastic dove from walmart that was 2 dollars or so and i went to the craft department and got grouse colored feathers and hot glued on it.It is held by 2 lb fishing line with a swivel at the top,it spins constant,that is why the pic is blurry.
its brother got ripped out of a tree by a bobcat 2 seasons ago.on gamelands 223
no batteries required

another good decoy in our area,is a reguler hen turkey decoy with the western rivers lost hen sound once in awhile,setting beside.
we have killed 3 coyotes off the hen decoys,and many turkey hunters have shot yotes going for there decoys,the last few years.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:05:20 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
I haven't used decoys enough to give a good opinion.  I did have a Foxpro Jib  but as Ben noted the size didn't fit my style.  Also it seems to be a bit low to the ground.  Last year I gave it to a friend that moved to WY.  I figured he would have better use for it there.

I did some research and liked the movement and simplicity.  I'm gonna give it a shot this year and see if it makes a difference. ;)

bootmud

That looks like a decent decoy for the money.
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
 I've used the turkey feathers but the string kept getting tangled in my vest. I use the mojo critter with great success. The secret that works for me is to place it where the top will hit folage. Example, High grass is good because it will shake it and at times tangle in it and make it look like a quivering animal hiding under it. Same goes for small brier patches. Tip for longer battery life with this is, I found that it would turn on in my vest because the button is raised out from the body. So what I did is take a water bottle cap and drilled a hole in the side of the cap and put a rubberband through it. I place the cap over the nipple like on switch and wrap the ban around the body to prevent the unit from turning on in my side pocket. I sometimes use one at night as well in the woods. I hand my foxpro from a branch and place the decoy underneath it. Again so it makes noise so when I'm silent with the call there is still some noise in the area of where the call came from in the form of rustling.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:34:10 PM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
I've used the turkey feathers but the string kept getting tangled in my vest. I use the mojo critter with great success. The secret that works for me is to place it where the top will hit folage. Example, High grass is good because it will shake it and at times tangle in it and make it look like a quivering animal hiding under it. Same goes for small briar patches. Tip for longer battery life with this is, I found that it would turn on in my vest because the button is raised out from the body. So what I did is take a water bottle cap and drilled a hole in the side of the cap and put a rubberband through it. I place the cap over the nipple like on switch and wrap the ban around the body to prevent the unit from turning on in my side pocket.

sometimes i just turn 1 battery backwards,it works also,just turn it the right way when you go to use it.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »

bootmud

That looks like a decent decoy for the money.

And it actually it does seem to be a decent decoy for the money.  It operates in 4 second increments or 16 second increments.  It comes with two feather decoy toppers, one with white feathers and one with black feathers.  Also it comes with a 3rd topper that is unfinished.... just needs your imagination to create it and make it.  Cool idea!

The toppers are attached to a 4 or 5 inch wiggly spring for excellant movement.  Also included are 3 additional stakes that add height to the decoy for more visibility.  This thing is smallish, packs easyily, and looks to be fool proof, and sets up in seconds.

So far I give it a BIG A+.

bootmud

Offline payotechaser

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
I have a woodpecker decoy.When its setup ,I feel like it should catch there attention.Nothing for nightcalling ,just for days.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »

I use this and a smaller version of the jack in the box,
the "all call"
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0045032228512a.shtml
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:58:52 PM by Leglifter »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
Leglifiter it looks cold in that picture. Im headin down to Florida when there is that much snow on the ground. LOL

Offline yotehunter74

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.sfcustompredatorcalls.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:28 AM »
        I almost always use one during the day, I figure it will not hurt anything. I dont use one for greys as they usually come charging in fast enough that I'm not convinced that it gives me an edge. On coyotes and cats I use them, and when hunting at night during bright moonlight or when there is a solid snow cover. I do change the color of my topper  on a bright night with no snow I use light to almost white feathers to stand out against the dark ground cover, and with snow I use dark feathers or toppers.

I have a decoy I made that is going into its second year of "testing" and I am getting over 11hrs battery life at 15 degrees, on 2 AA batteries...  I would rather carry it as it is very small and light.

Steve

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
I just went and made myself a feather decoy last night to kill some time.  I used a tail feather of a turkey and then added a white marabo feather at the base to give a bit of flash.  it looks like it should work.  I will put up a pic then. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:15:07 AM by foxpro51 »