Author Topic: The Incredable Edible __________!!!!!!!!  (Read 5104 times)

uncle buck

The Incredable Edible __________!!!!!!!!
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Nope Not The EGG but the Giant Puff Ball Mushrooms.   These choice edibles are out in fields now.... Very good cut into bread size slabs, dipped in egg and milk and fried like french toast.   Now there are a few cautions about PUFF BALLS.

1.   If you know the field that they are growing in has been treated with insecticides then I would not eat any mushroom from these fields...
2.   When Puff Balls are young....Baby Puff Balls they just might be Baby Destroying Angels...One of the most deadly mushroom known....So if you eat small puff balls and they are not a puff ball but an AMINITA you are going to die..... However just don't eat small puff balls...There is a way to tell if it's a Puff ball or an Aminita...However best to let that be done by someone who knows what they are doing...So stick with the Giants and you won't go wrong...
3. Other puff balls are also edible too... However the same applies to para 2 above...Just say you pick a baby puff ball along with other edible small puff balls and it's a Destroying Angel Aminita.  You new people stick with the Giants.....
Puff Balls that are black inside are also poisonus.  So when you cut a puff ball open and it's not pure white then don't eat it if it's black or brown etc...Pure white....Kind of looks like marshmellow or white blubber if it's an edible puff ball.... No blacks, brown, or baby puff  balls....

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The Incredable Edible __________!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
Cooking some horse mushrooms now.
gotta love the agaricus sauteed with onion and garlic.

The giant puffballs in my area are pure white.
The texture of yours look like our purple pigskins
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:46:26 PM by Leglifter »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
Looks like Elephant dung

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
I love mushrooms but to be honest, I'm scared to try them for fear I choose the wrong thing.  Thanks UB. ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
UB I found a bunch of white round mushroom balls that were no bigger than the size of a marble....bright white too
THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
Hope you did not eat them?  You have to cut the small ones right in half to see if they have the deadly Aminita parts growing inside.  So many in that family are all deadly poison...

Just had communications with a guy that use to stick any small puff balls in his mouth on the spot...Right in the outdoors.  Luck would have it they were not the deadly BABY Destroying Angels...
You all have seen the Destroying Angels...They are in abundance all over Pa...Pure white...Bulb near the dirt or ground and a white veil around the stem just below the underside of the gills.  Once they rot they get a smell to them like meat...Domestic dogs will eat them then and they die...It shuts down your kidneys!!!!!!

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
Notice on the recipe web link...Puff balls can be used in everything.....