Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Badger Matt

« on: June 21, 2006, 06:25:19 AM »
Howdy folks.  I just registered for the forums last night -- found the site after seeing the link on one of bigben's post on Predator Masters.  I'll be moving to Carlisle, PA in a few weeks and living there for a year.  I'll join PPHA when I get up there.  I've got virtually no predator hunting experience (only seemed to call in skunks when I lived in Colorado).

The only guns I've got now that look like they'll work for predators are a 12ga pump and a .243.  I've been thinking about buying a .204 Ruger.  Any thoughts?

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:04:06 AM »
welcome to the forum...  with already having the 243 for a long ranger, I'd seriously consider a 22 Hornet to handle the closer shooting, point blank to 300 yards... with WW 45gr SP's it's fur friendly for fox, and it'll handle coyote to 150 yards or so... with the WW 46gr hp's its a real slayer when it comes to groundhogs... if your married and have kids it's a spouse/kid friendly caliber also... plus if you don't reload, there are a number of people who shoot Hornets in the area that do, so you always have an outlet for the brass...  8)

as for people to lead you astray in the world of predator hunting, being in district 4, {Carlisle} you have a bunch of experienced people in your area...  :D
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 09:54:51 AM »
There's nothing wrong with using the .243.  On the other hand, if you're looking to buy another, you can never have too many guns.   :mrgreen:

Offline Two-0-four

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
I wouldn't use the .204 Ruger for fox or any center fire caliber other than a Hornet. It's really not needed if thats the biggest predator your going after. Within a 100-125yds it should have no problem killing a yote with a well placed shot. Just my thoughts. When you look at a skinned fox, it's only 3-4 inches thick in the chest cavity. Not a whole lot to stop a fast varmint cartridge unless you hit bone and if that happens, you've got one big hole out the other side.
Good luck any way ya decide. :D