Author Topic: Fur Handling  (Read 3440 times)

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Fur Handling
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Well at the last get together at fox pro the other week we all sat and watched very informative demos on calling and lights and the different weapons and loads we use for predators.  But what about after our shot is good?  Ive seen many furs ruined by not taking care of them promptly and with the way everything is going the number of buyers who buy fur in the round(on the carcass) is dwindling.  Maybe we should try to include at least a partial demo on taking care of the critter after harvest.  What is everyone elses opinion on this

uncle buck

Re: Fur Handling
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:06:50 AM »
I remember on 4 occasions that demos were given to PAPHA members on skinning... Mike Spittle did two of them...One at Indiantown Gap PAPHA picnic,  One at Port Matilda with during the Randy Anderson expo,  Also I know Hern did one or maybe even two at PAPHA picnics.  So PAPHA does have them from time to time for it's members....

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
Ok I was unaware of that and just thought that it is a very important part of the sport.  Thanks for the input

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
I feel more is needed but we were pressed for time last year at the expo to do a skinning demo and believe it or not many hunters that do this more for fun and not for the money sell their furs in the round.  not saying a demo wouldn't be welcomed.  maybe hern can do one at a meeting or a picnic coming up.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
waterfowler1183  This fall when you have a hunt set it up that at the check-in you will be giving a skinning seminar. It may help get more people to show up at check-in.
PPHA District 3

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
That sounds like a great idea.  I will talk to Critterslayer and try to get some dates together for some hunts this fall. Should be a great time

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:04:24 AM »
I have given 4 skun'n and put up demos for members at PPHA Events since we started the club.
I have also offered to any club member to stop at our house during the season and I would show you proper skun'n and such. Bring a fur or two and I'll instruct you thru it. That's an open invitation to any PPHA MEMBER.

I did want to have a skun'n demo at the first Expo last year. We didn't have a time slot.
We changed things around this year and didn't have any time slots after the basics were covered.
We can certainly fit a skun'n demo in if the members want it.
Hern