Author Topic: Everyones opinion on hunting lights  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Everyones opinion on hunting lights
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Whats the best light a man can buy out there to be able to see far out there and last all night, or at least have another battery to exchange out and work all night? I have had some real troubles in the past seasons, even having 3 fox come in to one stand only to have the light die out before I could get a shot (I was by myself, a little hard to hold the light and shoot safely). Any suggestions guys?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Everyones opinion on hunting lights
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
Critterslayer51
NightForce lights are the best to see with but the wiring system needs reworked when you get them.

As far as batteries and lights?
Purchase any light you can afford and as bright as possible with a dimmer system that has the ability to change batteries in the field.

Then, learn how long that light you purchased will burn at full power on one battery. Figure how many stands you make a night and how long you tend to stay on a stand as an average.  This will tell you many batteries to purchase and how often you should change batteries in the light you purchase. You may want to change the battery at say at stand 3 or 4 once you know this information about the light you end up purchasing.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »
Nightforce lights are outstanding but many wiring problems. I own 5 of them. The next light much cheaper is the Coleman lights you can buy on ebay for $10 to $12.00. It can be easily attached to the top of your scope. I own three of these. The batteries are also cheap. TROPHIESONLY. turn me on to this light. A very nice set up for less bucks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:32:43 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:46:49 AM »
foxpro wich colman light? i remeber seeing a headlamp fromthem for 14 bucks that might work also

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
Coleman 1,000,000 candle power. Halogen Spotlight. You need to put red filter on inside of lens. 12 volt. A $10.00 dollor light on e baY that work great. Allmost good as the light force. You need to put a base on light. Weaver type.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:47:39 AM by foxpro51 »

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »
i got a coleman light few years ago million candle power for $6 and just colored the lense lasnight its real light just bulky. i got it at wally mart. is that one you got smaller?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
Yes, a little bit smaller than a night force light. You need the size and power to see eyes comming in. Most of my shots are 100 yards or less at night.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »
Foxpro51,

Is this the light on ebay that you are reffering too? There is also two models with handles, I was just wondering because this seems to be a lot better option than to buy several hundred dollars on a light. If these lights work just as fine as lightforce, and I can just buy mulitple batteries to keep'er runnin all night i'm totally down with savin a few bucks. And where would you get a red filter to place behind its lens cover? Here's the link to ebay (copy and paste it in)...http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleman-12-Volt-Spot-Light-Halogen-Lamp_W0QQitemZ220394421674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335087fdaa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
well..looks like the link worked after all so you don't have to copy and paste it in, just click on the link...
              "CritterDone"

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »
thats the same light i got critter. i used a red sharpy from doller tree and squeezed the ink out on the lense and moved it around until covered its working great! also i cut the cord that plugs into the car lighter and now its attached to a 12v battery for accesories iv benn getting 6hrs constanly on thats good for me! must add even though its 1,000,000 power the sharpy ink cuts that down a bit so you dony burn their eyes out

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »
yes those are the lights on ebay. yes, they do have handles on them. Just screw weaver base to bottom. Attach rings upside down and attach to scope. Very steady light and bright. Can also be removed when needed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:24:23 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
Thanks guys!
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
Long gone are the days of me using batteries that you carry on your belt...I do have them and will use them for different testing...
However I like to use Petzel head lights now.  Also those cheap head lights that are at the counters at Home Depot and Lowes.  However I do like to use the shotgun so lights like this are sufficent to light up a predators eyes for close shots..

As far a burning out lights...I carry one or two of the cheap head lights in my predator calling bag....Starts to go dim or burns out I just replace it with a spare light....I also carry batteries in my bag and change the light burned out batteries back at the vehicle...

I have seen other hunters and myself in the early days hunts end early because of taking just on of the well known lights hunting....
Nitelites bulbs will burn out just after installing a new one...Also after three years your battery life of the cell type batteries does not hold a charge like when they were new...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
I know I'm the exception but my nite lite has performed very well for 4 years now.The bulb gets replaced about once a year.A tip to remember if your using halogen bulbs do not replace the bulb using your bare hands the oil from your hands seems to shorten the life.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
Foxtrot: You are the exception. I have to replace my bulb every hour or so on my nite lite sport II. I love head lamps because I love shotgunning for fox.
FayetteNam