Author Topic: Cleaning Your Predator Skull with Dermested Beetles  (Read 12563 times)

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Cleaning Your Predator Skull with Dermested Beetles
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »
Nick Erway, 236 Juniata Parkway East, Newport, PA 17074, cleans animal skulls by using the dermestid beetle method. Nick can be reached at nerway@pa.net or call 717-567-7460.

PPHA District 4 member - Perry County

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
Cleaning Your Predator Skull with Dermested Beetles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:22 PM »
That method turns out really nice.  I just got one of my bear skulls back and the other got ruined somehow, but the bigger of the 2 bears I shot in B.C. was ok.  His skull was even deformed, the guides believe he either fell from a tree or was attacked by an older male bear, when he was young.  My first black bear, I shot between the eyes and I believe it may have fallen apart because of that.  The beetle guy I went to, isn't the same guy you posted about.  Thanks, though...I may keep him in mind for future reference.  When I take the time, I'll post pics. of my bear's skull.  We are surprised that he survived "whatever" happened to his head, there is so much damage.  I really like the beetled skulls, it saves a lot of the detail in the sinus.  Thanks, for posting.

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Posted Subject
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
Picked up my coyote skull today, It came out real nice. I'll now be able to use the skull and tanned pelt as a training aid at next months Safari Club International, Blue Mountain Chapter Youth Field Day program.