Author Topic: The Bulb Squeaker  (Read 5021 times)

uncle buck

The Bulb Squeaker
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bulb Squeaker.....Be it a Lohman,  Quakerboy,  Primos,  other commercial brand,  dog toy,  cat toy,  baby toy, yee old Rubber Bathroom Duck.....probably one of the most deadly predator sounds that one can have in a predator caller battery....When all else fails...Namely the high dollar, high tech $$$$$$$electronic callers the bulb squeaker saves the day....  I must have called in about 20 predators alone with the Quakerboy this year.....

I think back I  was doing a seminar at Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers..I received a phone call from a new predator caller. He wanted to sign up for the event.   He told me that  "he was embarrased even to say this to me."      He went on to explain:   "That to date he killed 4 Pa coyotes just using a bulb squeaker why hunting at his cabin in the North central part of Pa?... He further stated "that after a snow and during twilight conditions he would go out in the Northern Central counties"... "Throw a white sheet over himself and call in coyotes."  "He stated what he was ashamed of was that he did not know how to use any other predator call."   I said to him "Ashamed your using the best predator call in Pennsylvania for all predators!"  "Don't be ashamed!"

I remember one snowy February night...I was hunting red fox during twilight conditons no lights needed...  I loaded my 17 Reminton  CF.  Closed the trunk on my Saturn and started to head toward my calling stand..  I took one, two, three, four , five steps..I had a bulb squeaker in my snow bib pocket.  As you know what happened each step I took the pocket pressure caused my bulb squeaker to squeak... So here I am walking and the bulb squeaker is squeaking within the confines of my pocket.   At the 5th step or should I say the 5th squeak... A red came out of no where and ran right at me... I  fired at that red fox with the 17 Rem CF. Actually took two quick shots at it... Sadly I was so startled that I missed Reynard...   The Red Fox took off for the next county.   I regained my composure... Said a few choice words and probably a "WOW" to myself...  I  reload so I bent myself over to retreive the two spent 17 Rem CF cases at my feet.  As I bent down again.....My pocket squeaked again... I am picking up the brass here comes another red fox running right at me..... So here I stood.....Called in two red fox back to back...They came in from well over 500 yards away....The Quakerboy bulb squeaker that called them in was in my bib pocket.  It was all accidental squeaks but yet  both of those red fox heard that sound inside my pocket on my pocket below my torso....

So when the calling is not productive..be it electronics,,,, rabbit squeals,  jack rabbit,  woodpeckers, etc etc with mouth calls...Always reach for a bulb squeaker before quitting for the night.... It has happened so many times to me... No call s what so ever but when I went to the bulb  squeaker in came the predators....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:09:57 PM by uncle buck »

Offline 82Dead

Re: The Bulb Squeaker
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
I am happy to read this post. I was feeling pretty stupid for spending $6 on what seems to be nothing more than the guts from one of my dogs toys. I feel better about it already and I will certainly give this call more time in the upcoming season.
Thanks

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
Ironically, Uncle Buck, I have never called anything in with just the squeaker.  I use it almost every set and have hunted them for years.  I'm not saying it does not work, just saying that it has not worked for me just using that sound.  I also use it if I have a predator already working my set.  A couple squeaks keeps thier interest if they pause or stop.  This has worked for me on more than several occaisions.

Uncle Buck, I hunted very hard this year and only killed a handfull of predators.  I keep reading in your post that you called all these fox and coyote in this year.  Now I know why my season wasn't very good.  You are hunting on my farms!! ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
I too have called in several predators this year with my Quaker Boy bulb squeaker. It,s amazing how well they work. Just for the fun of it I took my nephew out one night after the close of the season and all I used was a squeaker. In about 5 minutes I spotted eyes about 175 yards out. I worked the squeaker at top volume until then. Next I slowed down on the speed and volume and the Fox started to close the gap. He stopped at fifty yards and I put my thumb over the air escape valve and slowly squeaked like a bird. the fox came closer. At about 30 yards he stopped again. This time I squeaked very slow like the rodent was taking his last breath. The fox came running into a swamp and then he took off. It was awesome. I told my nephew I was going to try to bring it back so I started my sequence again. Sure enough the fox showed up again. I brought the fox in to the same distance as the first time. He took off and stopped in the same spot I saw him first. Just for the heck of it, never thinking I could bring the same fox into shooting range the third time, I started squeaking again. Yep, I worked him back for the third time and he was in range again, 30 yards. I never new a fox would respond to the same call three times in a row. That night convinced me the power of a squeaker. I have also called in several coyotes the same way. I went to Gander Mtn and bought three more in case I loose them. Great callers, try it, you'll like it.
President PPHA

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
i've killed more fox on PA with a squeaker of some shape or form....used a dog toy back in High School for years. best call in my bag hands down. ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
Very good call
Farmland red fox sure do like the Bulb Squeaker. Open areas the sound really carries.  But in big timber you have to be a little closer to them so they can hear it. But if they hear it they will probably come. But a (good) lip squeak will get the same results and costs nothing.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:11:35 AM »
Ironically, Uncle Buck, I have never called anything in with just the squeaker.  I use it almost every set and have hunted them for years.  I'm not saying it does not work, just saying that it has not worked for me just using that sound.  I also use it if I have a predator already working my set.  A couple squeaks keeps thier interest if they pause or stop.  This has worked for me on more than several occaisions.

Uncle Buck, I hunted very hard this year and only killed a handfull of predators.  I keep reading in your post that you called all these fox and coyote in this year.  Now I know why my season wasn't very good.  You are hunting on my farms!! ;D ;D ;D

Try some vigorous squeaking next year...Keep the call at your side and squeak it constant.  Then put it in your pocket and do the same thing...Keep doing it for up to 20 minutes straight.   They red fox come in real close too.   So it's an outstanding call for the lone shotgunner to use.   However but be ready because I said fast.... also stay away from the red dot scopes then... Just illuminate the area right behind the bead of the shotgun.  Thats how fast the shooting is... Squeaking,  fast approach and you have to point and fire...It's that fast... One of the few sounds that they will come right to you....
Also on cassette in the winter...Yep reds will go right to the speaker then too....Love the lone  JS Rodent distess. Notice is said singular not plural..Not rodents distress.

This is what vigorous bulb squeaking can get you.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:49:08 AM by uncle buck »

Offline ED HALL

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
THE OLD MOUSE SQUEAKER HAS COST QUITE A FEW FOXES THEIR LIVES IN THE CENTRAL PA AREA. IM SITTING BETWEEN FALLIJAH AND ABU GRHAIB, IRAQ RIGHT NOW BUT I WAS JUST TALKING ABOUT CALLING FOXES, COYOTES, AND BOBCATS IN A COUPLE DAYS AGO WHILE SITTING OUT ON A PATROL AND ONE OF MY BUDDIES SAID, "THERE GOES A FOX"  IT WAS A DESERT FOX, THEY LOOK LIKE A BLONDE RED BUT A LITTLE SMALLER.  I ALWAYS USE A SQUEAKER AT THE BEGINNING OF MY CALLING SEQUENCE.  IT CAN BE A VERY CLOSE RANGE CALL BUT IT CAN ALSO BE A LONGER RANGE CALL IF YOU BELL YOUR HAND AROUND THE NIPPLE AT THE END. THE SQUEAKER SEEMS LIKE A MORE REALISTIC SOUND TO ME BECAUSE ITS A LOWER VOLUME CALL BUT ITS A HIGH PITCH SOUND.  I MAKE MOST OF THE CALLS I USE FOR PREDATOR HUNTING  AND I HAVE A "RODENT" REED ON THE ONE END OF THE CALL BUT THE GRAY QUAKER BOY MOUSE SQUEAKER IS MY FAVORITE.  I ALWAYS CARRY AN EXTRA BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY TO LOSE. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »
The bulb squeaker is the NUMBER 1 preadator call a predator hunter must have. 99% of all my animals called in are brought in closer for the kill by a bulb squeaker.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
The only time I use the bulb Squeaker or a lip squeak is after I have seen eyes to help bring them in closer. If your hunting with a partner it also lets them know you see eyes .
If I'm hunting my self I'll lip squeak or do something Hern showed me and take the reed out of the bulb and just keep it in my mouth and blow threw it . That way your hands are free.
PPHA District 3

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »
i havent used one of the brands stated above but i did get small tennis ball and its a squeaker. tried it a few times with no sucess. i plan on trying new tactics with it i have 3 of them and when u use 2 against each other i found it gets pretty squeaky. i will give it a try next time!
                dave

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
THE OLD MOUSE SQUEAKER HAS COST QUITE A FEW FOXES THEIR LIVES IN THE CENTRAL PA AREA. IM SITTING BETWEEN FALLIJAH AND ABU GRHAIB, IRAQ RIGHT NOW BUT I WAS JUST TALKING ABOUT CALLING FOXES, COYOTES, AND BOBCATS IN A COUPLE DAYS AGO WHILE SITTING OUT ON A PATROL AND ONE OF MY BUDDIES SAID, "THERE GOES A FOX"  IT WAS A DESERT FOX, THEY LOOK LIKE A BLONDE RED BUT A LITTLE SMALLER.  I ALWAYS USE A SQUEAKER AT THE BEGINNING OF MY CALLING SEQUENCE.  IT CAN BE A VERY CLOSE RANGE CALL BUT IT CAN ALSO BE A LONGER RANGE CALL IF YOU BELL YOUR HAND AROUND THE NIPPLE AT THE END. THE SQUEAKER SEEMS LIKE A MORE REALISTIC SOUND TO ME BECAUSE ITS A LOWER VOLUME CALL BUT ITS A HIGH PITCH SOUND.  I MAKE MOST OF THE CALLS I USE FOR PREDATOR HUNTING  AND I HAVE A "RODENT" REED ON THE ONE END OF THE CALL BUT THE GRAY QUAKER BOY MOUSE SQUEAKER IS MY FAVORITE.  I ALWAYS CARRY AN EXTRA BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY TO LOSE. 

Ed thank you for serving!!!!I appreciate it......

Neat to hear you saw a fox OVER THERE!!!OVER THERE!  I bet that made your day.

I remember when I was in the USCG.   I was stationed for two years on THE ROCK!!!!!Hawaii.....They do not have any rabbits in Hawaii.  So I did not see any rabbits for two years and it was tough.  I flew in and landed in California...I saw a jack rabbit as I got off the plane... I stood there and watched that Jackrabbit for 15 minutes before I went into the airport building....
Something how not seeing things when your far off can make a man think a little?

Anyway Ed glad you join us here from time to time.  Hope you get back soon and do some more predator hunting here in the good Ole U. S. A.

Why the Quakerboy bulb is excellent the Primos is almost a look and sound alike....Lohman also makes an outstanding bulb..That if pushed in will remain silent in your pocket... Thats if you want it to remain silent in your pocket?