Author Topic: anybody been doing any good?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
anybody been doing any good?
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »
I went out the first day for a hour and caught 7 stocked brookies.  got tired of the wind and left with 4 fat ones on the stringer.  filleted em up and fryed em.  tasted purty darn good.  went out monday and caught one in stream that gets hammered hard and then went last night and caught nothing.  been pretty slow.  a few hits but nothing major.  really looking forward to next weekend.  my father brother and I are heading to renovo to fish the streams up there.  we have been fishing up there for I would have to say atleast 15 years now.  try to make it up atleast once a year.  great lookin country up there. 

so how have you guys catches been?  all of mine were over 12" but most of what I seen being carried out on stringers on saturday looked aweful thin. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: anybody been doing any good?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »
Went last Thrusday and got around 15 that went from 19 to 27 inches . The biggest being around 8lbs.  Was steelhead fishing in Erie.

Ben what creeks do you fish when you go to Renovo ? I'm planning on going to Kettle creek that weekend will be between 144 bridge and the park.
PPHA District 3

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
mainly hyner run and young womans.  we normally hit em both during our stay.  I am actually going riding quads on saturday down at snow shoe.  we should be done riding around 5 in the afternoon and the moshannon creek runs right along the trail.  so I will hit that probably on saturday before I drive back up to renovo.  then sunday I will fish wherever dad and my brother did good at the day before.  just hope no heavy rain or high water hits that area.  a inch of rain is a foot higher streams in that area. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
Yea the rain can really affect them streams.  Young womens creek has a flow gauge on it that you can check on the web.

Here is the web address for all the usgs water flow charts in Pa.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/rt
PPHA District 3

Offline Gimmieabeer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
The hatchery that I work at stocks young womens creek.  It is getting stocked on 4/9, the left branch.  I am fishing a small mountain stream first thing in the morning and then heading to kettle creek to hang out with sum buddies and drink sum beer!!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
Ben, What bait?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
coyotejeff, What creek in Erie. Many steelheads still in the creeks?

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
Foxpro I fished Elk creek there was still a few but I would say its only going to last maybe 1 or 2 more weeks before its done. 
PPHA District 3

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:20:25 AM »
do you mean what bait am I using earl?  I mainly use minnies.  that seems to work the best for small streams.  hook em through the lip with no weight and place them in the opportune spot and they will normally hit it.  alot depends on the hole.  stream fishing is totally different then fishing lakes.  if I am fishing a stretch of stream that has a bit longer or wider pools I normally tie on a spinner and use them.  or maybe a kastmaster.  all depends.