Author Topic: Who uses cover scents?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
Who uses cover scents?
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
Does anyone use cover scents? And what are some ways you make yourself "scent free"? One thing i do is use dog training scents like rabbit,coon,or even grouse,ect. its about blending in right? Besides im not Les Johnson (life would be easy then)and i dont see buying a stick of deoderant that smells like yote pi$$ for 20 bucks. But you can get the dog training scents at gander mnt for 4 bucks use to be 2.99 when i was training my dog just a couple years ago.  :'(

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Who uses cover scents?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
 I think its important to be as clean as possible.Wash your cloths in scent free detergent,shower with scent free soap,keep your boots outside or somewere away from odors.In a pinch I have used baking soda in place of soap.As far as cover scents I think there a waste of time and money.The simple act of breathing is enough scent to send a canine the other way.Also don't forget your gun,use only oils that are as scent free as possible or at the very least let the gun air out for a day or two.Pay very close attention to the wind direction and you will be ok.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
I don't use cover scents but I am experimenring with misting.  I don't think anything is a neccesity but at times may help.........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
I heard misting does pretty good but I never gave it much thought

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:23:18 AM »
Not me BP but I am willing to try anything. ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:46 PM »
I use too but have not for the last 3 years.  Quitting The Habit did not reduce my fox and coyote call ins!  I'm still caling them in without cover scent.  However I think misting ........Used just in the proper terrain would be outstanding to use...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
Lookn4fur
As you know, I was talking with fellows about marking misting spray at Marysville last fall. I was hoping to have fawn urine added to red fox urine, coon urine and such. So I messed with it a little again last fall and quickly decided it was not worth the stink in my car and getting on me when the mist goes a little astray. Like you I thought it was a good idea also at the time to make some money and still do in this fast growing market. But whether it works or not will be debated for a long time. If someone uses your concoction and kills a coyote they will swear it works, and there have been a few that clam that the right concoction works and some swear it does not. Some people just use vanilla extract or anis oil and claim it works.  At least that will not smell so bad in some ones truck. Hears were your marking skills will come into play. Good luck.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:20:01 AM »
I agree Buckwheat.  Stinky stuff no matter what you use.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »
buckwheat says-
...quickly decided it was not worth the stink in my car and getting on me when the mist goes a little astray.
 ;D You gotta smell like one to kill one...LOL ;D

As far as cover scent...I think a quick walk thur the barn yard is all you need, for most setups.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:39:01 AM by Hern »