Author Topic: Now's the time!!  (Read 3876 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Now's the time!!
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:42:06 AM »
If you like to hunt crows now's the time!!!  I was out yesterday and they are everywhere here in central pa., going out again this morning...trying to use up some of my "Million Crow's Ammo", which I had stashed away!!!!    LOL

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Now's the time!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »
 I still have some of my "Million Crow Hunt" ammo left also. ;D   The kids put a nice dent into it though, last dove season.

*PaCoyotenut*

Offline corey26

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:28:46 PM »
I went out this past weekend for a couple of quick stands and I got 4 crows. What size shot and chokes
do you guys use? I have been using an imp.cylinder with #7 1/2 or #8 shot. I like the Remington Nitro
27 shells for crows. This weekend is gonna be nice, I will get out again.
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
I use the Remington game loads in either 6 or 8. I use the full choke  in a Berretta semi..Usually on my first attempt at a location the crows will come in boldly and close...after the initial shooting and they fly off I wait a little and fire up the caller again, usually they will come back but often they are a little higher and not so brazen so that extra choke helps. I move to a new location after the second go around. My formular for success is to get there early when their in a bad mood, get hidden so well i can't find myself, and I try to locate my owl somewhere an owl would sit , pines are perfect. I have an old wooden Lohman mouth call that I use along with a JS crow's fighting an owl tape, its dynamite. 8)

Offline corey26

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
You should try using the JS death cry of a crow tape, it is an awesome call especailly for bringing them
in for a second round of shooting after the fighting sounds. It can be used as a first sound too but I
like to use it as a second call cause it brings them back in low enough for some good shots.
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
I will attempt to locate a tape and try it...always looking for something new...thanks

Offline corey26

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
Hey jaspr, that tape isn't to hard to find. You can get it at allpredatorcalls.com or crowbusters.com
I went out this morning for a few stands and shot 9 crows. If I had a partner we would have had more.
Here is a pic of some of the mornings crows. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk76/coreypw/IMG_0009-1.jpg
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline corey26

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
I went out for a couple stands this morning, I ended up shooting 4 crows and a couple of pigeons. I
can't believe the season is almost over already.
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »
I was out also...got a late start. I got skunked....I saw some but they were all doing hi altitude recon, a lot of shooting makes them wary..Unfortunately where I usually hunt SGL #170 here in Perry is clobbered by a lot of others...

Offline corey26

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Yea they can get educated pretty quickly especially on gamelands. One spot I went to yesterday was
gamelands and it took awhile for them to respond and a few stayed high but I bagged one there. The
week before I went to a gamelands and did good on them. Sometimes later in the season you need to
use a full choke and #7.5 shot. Mixing hand calls with an e-caller also helps sometimes.
Proud member of the PPHA