Author Topic: Clueless in the Cove  (Read 2460 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Clueless in the Cove
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:27 AM »
Went out the other night and had an awesome experience  :)...but didn't get anything  >:( I went into a place and after exiting the Jeep, I was working my way up a small hollow  when a coyote started to howl. He-she? was up on the ridge to my right about 500yds or so.. As soon as it howled it got an answer from a good distance to west of me.....This went on for at least 30mins off and on, the one to west had several others with it,  because they would all chime in  sometimes....What do you think was going on here??  Mating? Somebody wandered off and they were trying to get back together? Outsider trying to horn in? I did try to get set up and used my e-caller sparingly but had no luck.... ??? ???

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Clueless in the Cove
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
Maybe the one buy itself was pushed out of its territory by the alpha male.
And he too, was howling for a mate or companionship.
The others heard a strange coyote in there territory and were
threatening him to get out.
Were any of the howls short from low to high with alot of barking in between?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
not sure what happened without hearing it myself but I am sure you got a heck of a education.  many people hunt for coyotes and rarely hear the real deal. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
It was a lot of fun just to listen, the lone one closest to me never barked just howled....the other group was immediately vocal and sort of sounded like when mom is getting the pups together...i listened to that a few times during the end of summer but it wasn't exactly the same , the group answered together and seperately a couple times..What i thought was incredible was the immediate response, they sounded like they were responding before the first one was even done...I know one thing,2 people told me about this and they were right, they had heard them in there before, going to be there friday...