Author Topic: Could not close the deal.  (Read 3139 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Could not close the deal.
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »
Went out tonight for a bit. I decided to take my rifle this time and not my faithful shotgun. I was hunting in the open woods for fox (as usual). I played some fox squalls and red/grey fox fight with a low volume fox whistle. I didn't see anything first spot  but when I was leaving I heard something big coming down a tree below me. I never seen eyes though. My second spot was up on the flat in a spot we call the big woods. I walked all the way to the logging road that divides this open hardwoods from a thicket (logged out section) and a valley. I walked to all these spots so my set ups were closer than you might expect. How I set up was at the corner of everything. I set up looking up hill the thicket to my right and slightly behind me. I was about 40 yards from the thicket and 15 yards from the lowest point in the woods. I put my fx5 in a tree and turned it on. My battery light was flashing from the cold so I didn't hesitate to start calling as soon I got settled. I strated with vole squeaks first for about a minute. Then a 30 second pause followed by raspy woodpecker (very low in vol.) for 2 min. then I paused. After 30/40 sec I unmuted the call and played it again. This went of for a couple minutes (adjusting volume a little higher). Finally at the 8 min mark I muted it again but this time when I did I heard something at my 4 o'clock position. I turned with my headlamp and saw a fox bouncing in to about twenty yards and this is when it goes wrong. I had a red lens stinger flashlight on my gun and my headlamp on. I truned to get on the fox (at 20 yards to my right rear) and he was gone. If my coat sound didn't scare him it might have been the bipod punching through the snow or the movement in general. This might nat have been so bad if the call was still going but the fox came in close the same time I hit the mute button. I knew I should have taken the 12 ga. I would have had a picture with this. I got so mad that I educated another fox, I came home.

FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Could not close the deal.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:44 PM »
Keep trying and get that light

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:15:02 AM »
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50:06 AM »
Don't worry to much about educating them. Last yr. I use to call the same fox in and miss it once a week using the same sound every week. After a month  I set traps and got it. It would always come in from the same direction.
The important thing is you seen eyes and have learned something from it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:53:04 AM by CoyoteJeff »
PPHA District 3

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
bipods are good in some cases, but I don,t like them for that resone they tend to hinder you more if you have to swing on a critter. I found a single shotin stick works better for me. go back after that fox in a week I bet you call it back in with the same sound.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
 Went back to the same spot lastnight and messed up again. Called another fox in but it came from the direction I least expected. I places the call behind me in hopes of making them feel more comfortable coming out of the thicket to investigate. After about 9 minutes I heard something back by the fx5. I turned my head and seen a fox taking off. It came from the open part of the woods this time. It was probably another fox cause when I followed the tracks I seen more that one set of them. I will not put the call behind me again in a woods set up. I had it work once in a day time field set up but I never thought it would have came from where it did. I'm gonna wait to go back this weekend for the hunt. I'm gonna be the happiest hunter alive when I get a fox in this spot. Thanks to Trophiesonly I know what I was doing wrong before now if I can just perdict where the fox will come from ,I'll close the deal.
FayetteNam

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
I like to hunt with a little more view when possible. Pay attention to the wind. Stay below the horizon. Least amount of movement is best. You're on the right track tho. Sooner or later it will happen.
President PPHA