Author Topic: what do you think they see?  (Read 6673 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
what do you think they see?
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
we had a brief conversation about this this weekend.  when someone is out night hunting and calls in a fox and is using a red light.  do you think they see the beam?  or do you think that they do not see anything because they are color blind?  

I personally think that they can see something.  if they could not they would be able to see right through the red light to you.  I allways here that the light is your cover and to keep the light on em.  so what does it matter if you use a red, white, blue, green, orange, or so for a lense?  if they see it does it matter?  if you do not believe they see anything why so?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:23:37 PM »
I believe they see a light in their eyes, but that red doesn't seem as bright to them as the other colors, and doesn't bother them as much.

No scientific evidence here, I'm just making a guess.   :D

tom p

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »
first off if you have a dull light they dont see it!!!!  if your using a bright light it burns there eyes---just like when your in your car & some1 gives u the high beams----remember on a dark night that light is ur shield  thay cant see thru it!!  the best way to explain it is have some1 shine a light at you ---you cant see behind the light---but have that person wave their hand in front of the light---u see their plain as day

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: what do you think they see?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
I read in a great book on fox hunting and it said " since fox live in a black and white world, the red lens appears black to them". I also agree that too bright of a light will alarm them.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
I Think they see the beam just like they see a distant light. The beam will spook them if to bright. Thats why i cut down beam the closer they

get. For example ,last night i had a fox come in and he would stop every time i turned beam up. When i lower power of beam he would move

closer. A lesson i learned long time ago. Also take a look at the following pictures.( Notice the eyes. )I can use a stronger beam on a red fox

than i can on a gray fox. Reason, Gray Fox tend to live in darker areas like Brush/woods vs a Red Fox that lives in fields.

Both taken last night- Red fox are use to brightness, Gray Fox are not. That's my theroy but it works.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:08:44 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »
Think a about it this way. Stand in a dark closet open the door and get blasted by a light. Now stand in normal light and get blasted. What will have more effect on you. I have used red ,blue and green lights. NO DIFFERENCE. All they do is cut down on eye burn for the animal and makes the eyes stand out more.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:17:48 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
The grey has oval-shaped pupils, opposed to the slit-like ones of the red fox. The gray fox can be as dumb as a brick some times but usually not the red fox and they are two different animals As far as how the light may spooks them, well there is more then one way to run a light. There is no way to give one answer and cover all the lighting things that can change on an approaching predator red or gray.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:57:57 PM »
Predators, cats and dogs have a layer behind the retina called the tapetum lucidum which reflects light back to the retina so dim light gets a second chance to find light sensitive rods.  This is why thier eyes appear to glow which gives them excellant low light or what we call night vision. 

Canines have more rods than cones in thier eyes.  More rods means slightly blurred vision and poor spacial awareness.  Photopigment allows canines to detect different intensities of white light but can not discern color.  Because of this high sensitivity to light, canines see most colors (except red) as different shades of white to grey depending on the intensity of the light.

It's my opinion that Red appears as Black at low intensity but at high intensity it appears to blend in with it's spacial surroundings and allows the canine to see as if there is no light. 

I got some of this information from an old Predator Extreme Magazine.  I truly believe in my opinion but it is just that, my opinion.........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

Looking4fur
More rods means slightly blurred vision and poor spacial awareness.

???
Could you explane this to me.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:03:25 PM »
nope

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
I do not have a doctorate but for you Ernie, I'll try.  I am reading this from the article "The Eyes Have It".  It is dedicated to coyotes but goes on to explain that this is the same with all canines. 

Both humans and canines have the same rod photopigment.  During the day, the cones regulate sight, as rods are fully saturated with light.  At night the rods take over.  In order to spot their quarry in the dark, coyotes need more rods than cones.

To accomodate the need for more rods, coyote eye biology has adapted and something had to go - one of the cones.  The superfluous cone was the green cone which partially overlaps with the red cone in terms of special sensitivity.  As noted the extra rods give the coyote far greater night vision than humans.  Add the larger pupil diameter and the larger lens, and coyotes see roughly six times beter than humans at night.  But also noted, rods permit poor visual acuity which gives them poor spacial resolution.  This means that coyotes have slightly blurred vision and are essentially, nearsighted.  This does not mean coyotes have poor eyesight, just the opposite.  Canines are designed perfectly for what they do best, pinpointing objects in low light and spotting the slightest movement.

Hope this helps to explain my ramblings a little better as I am always learning myself........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
well now that explains why Wiley Coyote never caught the Roadrunner... got blurred vision when he got close and kept missing him...  ;D
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
DALE right on :)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »
special

What does this word mean in your sentence? You have used it twice,

Soon I will make you an expert, just answering my questions. ::)

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »
I'm an expert in my own mind. ;D  Whish I could convince my wife of the same.  I think you are refering to the word "SPACIAL" not special because I only used the word special once in my most recent reply and it does not exist in my original reply.

Spacial is defined as the the nature of space.  If you say "spacial awareness" you are talking about ones awareness of their surroundings. 

Isn't that "special". ;D  Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.  If you need anymore help Ernie, call me.  I'm always willing to help a friend......Tim