Author Topic: went out hunting with the fish last night.  (Read 3866 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
went out hunting with the fish last night.
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
dale stopped up on his tour through pa before heading south again.  dale arrived early afternoon and after some jawin and some eatin we headed out for some hunting hopeing the weatherman would be wrong.  
we headed to a spot that has done well for me this season.  I have not called any of my spots for allmost two months.  (since I took paul out back at thanksgiving).  I have called a gray at this spot 4 times now this year and I call him the spook.  most of the times he shows with out normally having any time to get a decent shot or comes out of no where.  called for 15 or so minutes and had nothing but a pantry puma come to the pitiful screams dale was squalin out of ernies call.  we packed er up and headed to another spot.
the next spot is a large farm (atleast by this areas standards)  that has a chicken farm on it.  we split up trying to make the most out of what could be a short night.  he went in the one field and I went to the other side of the road and called that field.  I got setup and started sending crys of a whimperin rabbit across the fields.  as the minutes clicked past and the neighbors dogs where raisin cain I decided to do one last scream.  then I heard it a fox barkin at me.  as soon as he started barking another one got agressive and started barking at him.  i sat for 3 or so more minutes and nothing showed.  walked back to the truck an headed to another set but it was dry.  
I decided to head to the local game lands and call.  I had seen a good bit of sign there a week ago and figured that we should be able to call something in.  as soon as we got out of the truck it started raining.  I decided to hop into the closest field and make a short stand.  I sent a few chourus's of rabbit and bird distress out but nothin showed.  I walked threw the fence row back onto the dirt road and there is a set of eyes comin.  I got the sticks setup when they dissapeared in the hollow and turned on the gun mounted light.  when the reappeared they were 30 yds away and with the hammer back on the hornet I was about to send a 35 gr accu tip his way.  but as soon as I was about to squeeze he ducked into the woods.  
on the way out of the game lands we seen another fox but decided he would be lucky that night.  on the way home we bout had some fresh venison but I got the chevy slowed to avoid the collision.  I did not want to kill the only deer in the game lands you know.  lol

all in all it was nice calling with a old friend.  and I hope that he had a good time.  if ya ever want to stop up again my house is open to ya dale.  takereasy ben smyser
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline slyfox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a good night...at least you had some sightings..
IT AINT OVER TILL I SAY ITS OVER

BP

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
Heck, the jawin' and eatin' part sounded enjoyable! Did G-fish clean out your pantry? I seen that boy eat, he's got some experience!

Offline yotebuster

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.critterbuster.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
Great story 8) Maybe you should try the DECOY :shock: !!!!
--dave dunbar
http://www.CritterBuster.com
Predator Calls With An Attitude!

BP

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:45 PM »
Sounds like there's more story coming?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »
the only story I can add is when you hunt with dave keep your decoys away from him.  

we were hunting for predators up at daves camp last year.  I set the jack in the box out with the caller.  we were at the end of the stand and I here him chuckle.  I ask him what the heck is so funny?  he says I bet I can shoot that baby bunny.  ever since then he has wanted to shoot em.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
Whewwwwww... it's good to be home finally, but had a great time hunting and visiting with everyone...

only killed one fox the whole trip... didn't see a lot, and my scope was off the first 2 days too... missed 3 there... had a problem back down in the York/Lancaster county area with the fox doing a lot of barking etc... are these mating barks... didn't seem to want to come to the call for food... thinking they had something else on their minds...

found way to many coyotes too... am going to have to change tactics... had 4 different packs howling on one stand up in Perry county... 3 at one time, got busted by the wind with one bunch and a scout spotted us and jetted before I could get a shot off and let out an alarm that cut off the other 2 packs... 10 minutes later another pack lit off on us as I was playing with some distress calls... way to many in one area...

was talking to a pack down in York county a couple days later and the scout busted me again... I'm gonna have to hide up after I get a response and call hidden... these things just are to sharp to call like I do fox...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...