Author Topic: #4 shot  (Read 15273 times)

Offline DickD

#4 shot
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:59:04 PM »
I just wanted to check if anyone tried to pattern the #4 shot.
I have tried to use a mod. choke & it looks as if the shot might be deformed, because the patterns are not very consitant. Anybody have some ideas?
Thanks Dick

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Official - Permitted use of shot up to # 4 buckshot
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »
The final-form rulemaking in regard to expanding the language to permit the use of shot up to # 4 buckshot for furbearer hunting with shotguns was published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin this past weekend.

The permitted use of shot up to # 4 buckshot for furbearer hunting with shotguns became effective with this being published. It is now legal.

I appreciate the efforts of the PPHA members who had submitted comments in regard to supporting this change.  The PPHA had also made a suggestion in regard to changing the wording from [coyote] to the new word furbearer as it is now written.

On behalf of the PPHA membership, I would like to say Thank You to the Pennsylvania Game Commission and the Board of Commissioners for their efforts in adopting this regulatory change. This change benefits all the furbearer hunters in Pennsylvania.

You PPHA members are to be commended. Keep up the good work.

Tom M.
President

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: #4 shot
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 04:47:42 PM »
Quote from: "DickD"
I just wanted to check if anyone tried to pattern the #4 shot.
I have tried to use a mod. choke & it looks as if the shot might be deformed, because the patterns are not very consitant. Anybody have some ideas?
Thanks Dick

try going to a improved or to a full and see what happens with them... you may want to try another brand of ammo also... this shotgun game can be a long tedious process till you get all the ends tied up...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Sleeves

• http://www.stephensoutdoors.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:39:23 PM »
Don't know if you're still trying to pattern your shotgun, but I used to do a lot of Trap & Sporting Clay leagues so I happen to know a little about this.

Are you using factory ammo or reloads?  At what distance are you recording your pattern?  Have you tried different distances?

If you're using factory ammo there's really only 3 things you can do;
1.  Like Dale said, try using a different brand
2.  Keep trying different chokes.  I prefer Improved-modified.
3.  The expensive option ... try different barrell lengths or get a buddy that has a longer or shorter barrell and see what happens.

If you're reloading, well, there's  a whole lot of issues that can come up.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:46:24 PM »
Quote from: "Sleeves"

2.  Keep trying different chokes.  I prefer Improved-modified.

Thanks for your help - even though I was not the guy who asked the original question.

Your second suggestion worked great for me. I changed my choke to an Improved-modified when I couldn't get decent patterns using #4 buck. Actually, I bought 2 different types from different manufacturers. The one that gave me really great patterns has a longer "forceing cone". It added a couple of inches to my barrel length, but my predator shotgun has a short 24" barrel to begin with. [Win. Black Shadow] The ammo that gives me the best patterns is Winchester XX Supreme 3" mag. with copper plated shot..

Geeez, but I hate patterning those loads at the range :shock:  I sure feel the recoil more than when I'm firing at predators :wink:
"The joy of living is his who has the heart to demand it"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ElkCrazy

• http://www.hhh-usa.org
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
Quote from: "Phoenix"
Actually, I bought 2 different types from different manufacturers. The one that gave me really great patterns has a longer "forceing cone".

Pheonix,  I believe you are misinformed.  The "Forcing cone" (which you are refering to) of a shotgun barrel, is just ahead of the chamber near the REAR of the barrel.  The choke area of the barrel is usually the last 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the barrel just before the muzzle.

For those that are trying to figure out a good choke,  start with a more open choke.  Large pellets act a lot like steel shot, if you jam them together they will spread out much faster.  Also, try a brand of factory loads that buffer the shot. This helps to minimize shot deformity, with tighter chokes.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:59:42 AM »
Quote from: "ElkCrazy"
Quote from: "Phoenix"
Actually, I bought 2 different types from different manufacturers. The one that gave me really great patterns has a longer "forceing cone".

Pheonix,  I believe you are misinformed.  The "Forcing cone" (which you are refering to) of a shotgun barrel, is just ahead of the chamber near the REAR of the barrel.  The choke area of the barrel is usually the last 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the barrel just before the muzzle.

Ummmm I was talking about the forcing cone IN THE CHOKE - since that was the subject.

Maybe I was using the wrong terminology :?:  What is the proper term for the taper constricting the shot pellets in the choke area? Anyway the improved modified choke patterns #4 buck best in my shotgun.
"The joy of living is his who has the heart to demand it"
Theodore Roosevelt