Author Topic: What you getting in your area?  (Read 4066 times)

uncle buck

What you getting in your area?
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
Here in SCPA  prime red fox is going for $15.00 in the whole and $20.00 skinned.  What are you getting for the different fur in your areas?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »
Wow! Uncle Buck, Who's paying that for Reds? Jerry Johnson?
Did you sell any Reds UB? Was that $20 for a nose count average?

I haven't sold any but talked with John Mace, a Sunbury fur buyer, and last he told me he was paying $10 for Reds, $30 for Greys and $5-$11 for Coon. He wants all on the carcass.
I am told by other buyers Reds would be in the $15-$18 range.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:05:12 PM »
Talked to my local fur buyer and he said large # 1 reds are going for 18, grays for 30 and coon a high of 20 then down all finished fur. Deer skins are 4 for large and 2 for small or 6 if salted and then 3.
PPHA District 3

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »
Hern I do not sale my fur until the seaon is over.  Sometimes I tan some or sale them to in the whole to a taxidermist in the area.  Of course I do not get any extra for selling to the taxidermist.
I have been using the alum and salt tanning method in the old trapper manual.  I want to tan a bunch using the other method in the book.  The Sulfuric Acid method.  

Yes Jerry told me that now that they are prime that is what he is buying  the red fox for.  However remember if they should be ripped or not streched the right way etc he takes money off too.

Last year fox I harvested after the New Year I was getting $8.00 for rubbed and $20.00 for the non-rubbed.  Of course I skinned and streched  them.  If I would have sold the $8.00 ones that were rubbed in the whole I would have only received $3.00.

Something about deer season now.  Many of us are out there hunting deer in the daytime.   We really should be calling at night because now is when the reds are worth the money.  I have called at night time during deer season but normally to many nuts out there thinking they have served mankind by catching a poacher.  Many times pounding nails in your tires so you don't get away.  LOL LOL

Also should one trap now you also have the deer hunters that would disturb your sets too.  Something comes over people, a syndrom and they think they have a right to shoot them in the trap with center fire deer bullets or steal them.

If your going to sale to Jerry suggest you call first and confirm the price.  I would not want you to drive all the way down here and because of something that happened in the market he now reduced his price.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the info UB. I should do better on Reds at the NAFA sales. Not sure what Raccoon will do. With the good weather nationwide this fall, the Mid-West will have a banner year on Coon. This may bring the price down slightly even with all goods sold last season.
UB, I sell taxidermy furbearers also. For regular goods, I charge no less than twice the price of finished fur (usually 2 1/2 to 3 times). My reasoning is, if they need it, I have it, let 'em pay or go kill 'em themselves. My experience is worth something. Don't sell yourself short.
 Last season, I sold an albino Possum for $125. A freak'n possum.
On odd ball taxidermy furbearers such as albinos or odd ball color phase Coyote or Black Raccoon (FisherCoon)....You can collet 2 or 3 bills.

Deer season... But I am still plug'n. Two nights of heavy wind, the Canines weren't moving much. Look out for  tonight. Whaaahooo.
Coyote and Fox have been displaced by the hores of Deer hunters. Many are in secondary home range and can be had. Get 'em while they are funneled together. In a week they will disperse again.
After Deer season, it's a whole nother ball game.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 05:11:41 AM »
Uncle Buck, I called Jerry Johnson yesterday and he said he is paying for Reds....$10 on the carcass, $15-$20 for Reds put-up. $20 for being #1's so he'll be grading tough. Jerry stated he's paying $35 for Greys put-up.
He won't be in until Sat. afternoon.
This afternoon, I am riding down to Jerry's with 2 other guys. I'll post his Coon prices later, cause my friends are taking some Coon along.