Author Topic: How everyone doing?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline kpaul9886

How everyone doing?
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:04:18 PM »
Things seem real slow this year. Im not even seeing the number of deer that i did last season. Last year I heard a lot of fox when I got busted by them. This year is quiet. I dont know maybe this is the same and Im loosing it. LOL !  I dont even see much posting on the boards. I like UBs site he always has something to write about .That guy is like a fountain of knowledge. Well I always open for pointers and company!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
How everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
The farmers in my area still had beans and corn standing 2 weeks ago and things were steady. Now that most of the beans and corn are off, things have picked up.
I noticed 2 places where Coyote moved out once the corn was off. But within 4 days, Reds have move in the same locations.
Fall dispersal has started, crops are off and the nip is in the air....Canines are on the move.
If'n your Fox hunting is slow, try calling Raccoon. Use 'Coon puppie' sound.
Coon calling is fast action. Multiples do respond, at times. Use .22 LR or .22 mag.
The Coon are saleable in my area and looking real good fur wise. I called up a good pile of Coon already.
Been calling before I check traps. At times I will call if'n something is in the trap. Hence: Grey in trap, I call Greys, right now. Raccoon in trap, I call Raccoon, right now. Seems to work. I killed a few Coyote in the past using this method. Coyote,in the trap, looking at me. Me setting up and yip'n, bark'n. Even had one trapped Coyote join in with me...LOL. It worked, I killed his mate.

Not much action on this site. Mostly PPHA news and events. Most members visit and post on other sites.
But if'n you have any questions or want to share info, members will reply for sure.

OH SURE

How everyone doing?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO.........

uncle buck

How everyone doing?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:05:19 PM »
So far I have called in about 20 + red fox in SCPA.  5 coyotes in NEPA however no greys what so ever in both places.

There are also some nice bucks in SCPA.  However in NEPA the racks were small but deer were abundant in pockets in both areas.  That is the benefit of calling at night time.  You get to enjoy and see what is out there.

Did see a bobcat run accross the road in NEPA when I was going from calling area A to B.

Also thank you for the kind words.

Offline kpaul9886

How everyone doing?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
Thanks guys .

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
How everyone doing?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »
i have been pluggin away with mixed results.no coyotes killed yet but i have located a couple packs and hope they dont get worked out by others.5 grays so far with most comeing to kitten distress or squirrel distress.havent seen a red,
i havent tried to call any coons sounds like a plan though

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
How everyone doing?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:14:22 AM »
Does anyone know of any coon mouth calls?  Also, I was talking to a employee at Kinseys Outdoors and we got on the subject of preds and then it moved to coon.  I asked him about a coon fighting call and he looked at me like I was crazy, he said the last thing I want is a pissed off coon coming at me in the dark.  Is this true?  What kind of result does a coon puppie call bring?
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

BP

How everyone doing?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:27:53 AM »
My experience with coon pups has been good. I don't see any need for a mouth call. The coons I called have all come in from a slow walk to a brisk walk. Nothing charging with teeth snapping. :lol:  I have never seen one climb a tree using this sound. I also read somewhere that it is a sound for females & youngin's. I call almost as many boars with it.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
How everyone doing?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
i read an article about a month ago, called asked the expert, and this guy had the same question.  "can you use a mouth call to hunt coons) the pro's answer was yes, if you want to get bit in the face.  he said he would never try it, they have coons come in so fast to the callers that they have teeth marks in the speaker.  he stated that when they are calling fox and yotes they are coming in because they are hungy or curious when you are calling raccoons they are coming in because they want to fight.  i just order the coon 1 for my john stewart, guess i will use the extention cord.  
i tried to find the article but i cannot locate it.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
How everyone doing?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 03:46:15 AM »
The Coon were out last night. (or is it still night?)
Just got back.
Get some shut eye for and hour or so then go check traps. I love fur season.
Good luck to everyone this long, Holiday weekend.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
How everyone doing?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »
Hern,

if i could ask a couple of questions.    how long do you stay on stand, do you leave the caller playing the whole time,  is wind a factor?  

Thanks
Scott

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
How everyone doing?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "Hern"
The Coon were out last night. (or is it still night?)
Just got back.

I thought they would be out in my area too, but didn't have any luck.  Mostly hunted near creeks last night, using Coon Puppies.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
How everyone doing?
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
Scott, wind isn't a factor as far as set up or Coon scenting you.
I leave caller on all the time. If'n you kill a Coon (or miss), hang tight and look for more responding.
For Coon, I stay on stand for 10 to 20 minutes. They repond fast. Fast action.

Paul, I was hunting some standing corn, 1 abandon house and another spot at an abandon barn.
The cricks are high in my area with snow melt and rain. So the Coon are running elsewhere. The Coon are eating last of standing corn and lots of acrons in my area.

Tonight will be another banner night for coon...warm & rainy.
But tonight, I will be skun'n the relatives over the poker table...LOL...Deal 'em

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
How everyone doing?
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »
I'm gonna try again tonight.  Good luck at the poker table!   :D

Offline kpaul9886

Fastest Fox In PA
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »
I had a red bust out of some thick stuff cover 50 yards to my call and decoy then back  in the blink of the eye.That boy was moving! lol
I had the 17hmr with me  and only managed to get the decoy in the scope. I laughed for ill bet 15 mins thinking about playing steal the bacon as a kid. That dude could have plucked that decoy and took it with him if he wanted . I was really starting to wonder if that decoy even worked. Its a mojo . I had cottontail distress playing on the FX3 . The call and the decoy were in the corn stubble on the crest os a slight rise. I was posted even with the decoy about 40 yards away along a wind break. I think it was close to 5:00. Also had the dek missted with BUNNIE STANK. Or bunnie  pee .. Man I love this sport!!!