Author Topic: Interesting Morning How About Some Advice?  (Read 5593 times)

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Interesting Morning How About Some Advice?
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
I know I messed up alot! Left the house this morning about 6:00AM going out on hill overlooking the hollow with grown up farm fields I walked across the well pad up the small rise by the big dirt pile looked out over the field that is being farmed saw a coyote walking into the weedy fields no more than 50-60 YDS away, I got the gun set on my trigerstick bipod I had mouth calls with me e-call was in backpack I lipsqueaked waited few minutes nothing made move to top of dirt pile more lip squeaking and some soft rabbit squealing but nothing showed. Now my next move is when everything went south I GOOFED! I thought maybe it spooked me walking that little bit crunchy snow it heard that and maybe moved on out around the hill so I figured I would move down over the side were I could see that side better well I made it about 25-30FT one runs out into open fields maybe 40YDS away I sit get lined up take shot miss work bolt on track squeeze trigger and click shell did not feed up by this time 3 more broke cover 2 went straight down over across road to mountain 1 other followed the first out over open fields to woods that are a good 700-800YDS away I did get 1 more shot next shell did not feed up, it was fun though give me some feed back.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Interesting Morning How About Some Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Sounds like you’re short stroking the bolt.   Not pulling it the whole way back.  Did you try filling the magizine and working the shells in and out till the clip is empty?    I’d also check to make sure the magizine was fully seated properly in the gun.   I’m guessing it was human error of some type.   

Patients is key....   give those weary coyotes time to come in.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:01:29 PM »
What Make, model and cal. gun?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:48:35 AM »
Stay in cover or up against cover in the daytime.  I would not have climbed to the top of the dirt mound.  All kinds of problems there.  Also sounds like you didn't give it enough time to unfold.  Don't beat yourself up too much.  You had action! 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) I hafta agree with not climbing the dirt mound in daylite... ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
Lookn4Fur there is a big round bale with pallets stood on end it makes a blind like look to set behind be on top of the dirt pile for 3 years now I and neighbor use it in deer season all he does is put new bale in place before season. I know I got impatient and didn't give it enough time. I'am thinking this was 2 breeding pairs with territorial dispute I done some looking around in that area found allot of pee mark spots and they may have been scrapping by the sign in the snow that I thank that is why 2 ran all the way out over open farm fields the other 2 ran straight down over hill along the weeds across the road to mountain.
 32-20 it's a Ruger American 22-250 I shoot 55gr V-Max and I hand load.
 Misterjake24 I was not short stroking the bolt after first shot I clicked on empty chamber 2 times I pushed on shells from top of clip got 1 in barrel yote had slowed alittle at 300+or- took second shot cycled action I just sat there watching those 2 run out of sight when I opened the action no shell came out took clip out the 2 shells in there where lose I pushed at them the feed plate inside popped up I have run full clip through at home seems to be okay now. Thanks Guys For The Feed Back.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »
So-soshot
Sounded like a really exciting hunt to me. That's the stuff that keeps you coming back for more.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
My turn...I'll take a poke at you so-so.
But first, I've blown my share of opportunities.

no more than 50-60 YDS away, I got the gun set... I lip squeaked waited few minutes nothing made move to top of dirt pile more lip squeaking and some soft rabbit squealing but nothing showed. Now my next move... so I figured I would move down over the side... I made it about 25-30FT one runs out into open fields
You were moving/walking right after you were calling, knowing Coyote was right there!
No-No-No, So-So

Shoulda stayed tight and take your chases. or Get to your blind before calling.
Your mind was conditioned to sit at the dirt pile. So you moved.
You sat there how many times thinking of shooting a Coyote from the ole dirt pile blind. You moved again.
Any place else, you would stay in your tracks and set up there. Cover or no cover with Coyote in sight, don't move.
Back of your mind said to get to dirt pile blind.
Your first sentence of your original post says it all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:10:05 PM by Hern »

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
I agree with all that has been said. Would also add if you see a coyote or fox and they haven't spotted you call from that location and don't move.  The feeding issue could also be your mag jammed. I would suggest picking up another mag and test feeding them at the range for function, mark them first. If one has an issue call Ruger they have a pretty good costumer service Dept. they may send you a mag for free. I have heard those rotary box magazines are a little sticky at first but do break in.
Sounds like a exciting hunt, Congratulations on coyote 101.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
Hern you are right on all your comments I'm frustrated with myself but also laugh at me to I know my thought was this is going to be simple this close lip squeaks kill it, did the same thing couple years back. Only thing I do know is thy'er making a FOOL of me LOL.
32-20 I am going to contact Ruger about the clip problem still not right seems like spring not strong enough if shells are left in it.   

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
Your spring in the clip does weaken over time. Not sure how long you had the clip. I always unload my clips when I'm not hunting.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:12 AM »
Only thing I do know is thy'er making a FOOL of me LOL.
You are making a fool of yourself. Been there.
Settle down ole boy. You are Top Predator.

Was it a hot bitch, in heat, with 3 males sniffing around? Were Coyotes the same size?

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 08:12:41 AM »
I thought that to Hern but if that was the case wouldn't all the males stay close to the female, all 4 looked to be adults, the 2 that ran down over the hill I didn't get as good a look at but the 2 I shot at I know where adults 1 a little bigger than the other. I still think it was 2 different pair 1 running down over the hill crossing road into mountain the other pair crossing 700-800YDS of open fields into a small woodlot. I do know this I need to better discipline myself the next time I get the opportunity.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
So-soshot
I like that the next time you're going to discipline yourself. LOL
But the next time you miss something you'll say damn if I would have just move four feet over to the right or left I would have got a shot.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Buckwheat you are probable right if I do I'll let you and Hern give me an old fashion A double S kicking I will need it.