Predator Hunting > Guns and Ammo

17 WSM

(1/3) > >>

Misterjake23:
Anyone using a 17 WSM?  If so,  what make and model?  How tight is it shooting?  What ammo are you using?  Most important to me?  What kind of fur damage does it do?

Thanks

32-20:
I'm using a Savage B-mag Heavy barrel stainless. Shoots amazingly well out to 300 yards but i'm not sure I would trust a clean kill at that distance. American Eagle ammo 20gr. tipped varmint. So far I have only taken two red fox and both had fragments under the skin on the opposite side, one at 32 yards and the other close to 70 yards. Add three groundhogs to that also all DRT. 

Misterjake23:
Did you have any runners after they were hit?  How tight are your groups at 100 yards?

32-20:
No runners groups around an inch at 100.

Furmageddon_1:
I have been using a B mag for 2 seasons now.  I shot a sporter barrel last season and the accuracy was not impressive.  I switched to a heavy barrel B mag for this season and it shoots amazingly well with 5/8" groups at 100.
For me, the jury is still out on performance.  Very little, if any fur damage which is great but I've had trouble anchoring foxes with it even with good shot placement.  Many have run from the spot of the shot and fallen over dead, others have required a boot to the chest or a follow up shot.  I have shot at over 45 red foxes and only brought home 25 (I believe, give or take) foxes this year, and I believe there are more foxes that are dead out there somewhere that I couldn't find.  I have also brought home 4 coons with it and 2 of those required follow-up shots...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version