Author Topic: First Sets  (Read 3594 times)

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
First Sets
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
I was finally able to get out and set my first traps. I only set 2 dogproofs. I had a plan in mind for a few single long springs but when I got on top of the mountain all of the streams were completely frozen. Due to my inexperience I didn't know what to do or how to set once my plan was blown.

The good news is that I cut tracks that I believe were bobcat. They were a day or two old so I couldn't discern. They walked in a straight line walking up and over multiple dead falls instead of around them.

I got a few traps prepped for cats and cannot wait to hit the mountain in the morning.

Chad

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: First Sets
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) Good luck on cats!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »
Wow, someone commented! I was ready to write this forum off for good.

Thanks Goose. I managed to get one set out on a set of tracks that intersected before my daughter started crying because her hands were burning. Maybe now she'll start listening to the way I tell her to dress.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D "  Maybe now she'll start listening to the way I tell her to dress." Now that in itself is wishful thinking.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Mine never did and still don't, my 22 year old son is still wearing shorts  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ I keep telling him he's gonna freeze something off!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »
Lol I hear you. She tried to walk the dogs this morning in a pair of slides instead of boots.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
my 22 year old son is still wearing shorts  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ I keep telling him he's gonna freeze something off!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Well where did he get that from?  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!  Sharp as a bowling ball down there in Chambersburg. :o :o :o :o :o
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D "Sharp as a bowling ball"  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) This coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between a coyote and a porcupine  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
LOL And........begin!

I went out yesterday to look at a big stand of hemlocks with a frozen stream running through it. Sure enough, right up the middle of the stream was a fresh set of cat tracks. I put in a cubby.

Nothing today when I checked and I put out a couple dogproofs while I waited for a buddy to arrive to pull me out of a frozen mud hole that my front tire broke through.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
Couple more days to go for that cat. Then you'll have to resort to calling next weekend. We have a few officers with good cat sign in their areas this year. Hoping for the biggest cat harvest in our hunt to date.
District 5 coordinator