Predator Hunting > Night Hunting

Tag along

(1/2) > >>

Scuttle904:
Any of you seasoned veteran callers out there in eastern PA want to take a newbie along coyote hunting to observe one night? I have been calling for 2 years now with no success. Had a few bark/howl back at me but no success even seeing one. Only thing I have called in thus far is 1 bobcat. 

Misterjake23:
Coyotes are one of, if not the toughest animals I've hunted.  Don't get discouraged.  Keep putting in your time.  There is no super secret sound to calling coyotes.  What works today may not work tomorrow.  Just remember the basics.....   Scent control, watch your wind, and don't over call.  Those are a few tips I have.  Perhaps others can share more.

Brushwolf:
How many sets have u made in 2 years for strictly coyotes???

Misterjake23:
Way too many to count!!  I read one time  it takes an average of 15-20 sets before calling a coyote.  That doesn't mean getting a shot or putting it down.  Many times I've called a coyote in and only caught eyes for only seconds, then never  seen it again....  gone!!  Don't discount you are possibly calling one in but never see it.  I've called coyotes where I could see the grass and high weeds moving but never actually saw the coyote.  Then it would retreat a safe distance and sit there and bark at me.  Many coyotes will circle 100-200 yards before coming any closer.  If you're not at the right place to see them.... you're going to feel like it was an empty set when it actually wasn't.  Many will come in silent too.

It's s numbers game.  I know a lot of people who have hunted them for years and never put one down.

Hern:
.... you're going to feel like it was an empty set when it actually wasn't.
Don't discount you are possibly calling one in but never see it.
'jake, how true.
I've been saying something like that for years. Years back, most Pennsylvania folks were calling Fox. Me included. Back then, We all were calling Coyotes in and never knew it. As Coyote population grew, we began to target Coyotes. We learned about Coyote behavior, home range, scouting & what sounds to use.
We made mistakes, learned, made more mistakes, but learned and progressed. We came a long way. Coyotes still give me the slip...lol.

I tell folks I kill the dumb ones.
Scuttle904, maybe you don't have any dumb Coyotes?
I tell folks if they want to kill their first Coyote...to hunt in September or October. Pups are young & dumb and respond to calls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version