Author Topic: Head lamp  (Read 5503 times)

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Head lamp
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
Looking to get a new head lamp, what's everybody using? I was thinking about the Night eyes dual beam red/white goes for $170.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Head lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
I think that would be my choice.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
I like that you can get it with a white light also.  I have a really nice flashlight,but it's not real small & it tends to get in my way being in the holster on my belt. Hopefully the white light will be enough to replace my flashlight.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »
Check our sponsor page and see what they have to offer.  I use one of Ernie's lights,  not sure if he has any left.  Send Buckwheat a message ....
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:35:39 AM »
Jake, I am pretty sure he is not selling lights any ,ore but could be wrong.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Looking to get a new head lamp, what's everybody using? I was thinking about the Night eyes dual beam red/white goes for $170.
I just got one in the mail on Monday. I haven't had it out hunting yet but can tell I will use it all the time awesome light. Beats looking for or even carrying one in another pocket. Will also be my light in deer season. 
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »
Am I the only guy that doesn't prefer a headlamp over a handheld?? I've tried quality headlamps and always went back to a hand scannner in the end...
PPHA President

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:55 PM »
Quattro
You just like the hand held light.. I think it is just be cause you have not given a good head light enough of a chance. It does take a little getting use to. Before gun lights were leagle that was the only way most people hunted. But there were only a few hunters compared to today. There were also no good head lights back then.
I always liked the head light, the closer the light is to your eyes the easier it is to get the critters eyes to reflect back. But I have many a times used hand held light. But it was always a big beam of light with a lot of flood around the bean.
But when I am the shooter a head light is my preferred method just because it frees me up from not having to hold the light and I can pick critters up quicker.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:04:14 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Am I the only guy that doesn't prefer a headlamp over a handheld?? I've tried quality headlamps and always went back to a hand scannner in the end...

I also do not prefer a headlamp over a handheld. It seems my head is on a swivel all night with a headlamp.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
"Quattro
You just like the hand held light.. I think it is just be cause you have not given a good head light enough of a chance. It does take a little getting use to. Before gun lights were leagle that was the only way most people hunted. But there were only a few hunters compared to today. There were also no good head lights back then.
I always liked the head light, the closer the light is to your eyes the easier it is to get the critters eyes to reflect back. But I have many a times used hand held light. But it was always a big beam of light with a lot of flood around the bean.
But when I am the shooter a head light is my preferred method just because it frees me up from not having to hold the light and I can pick critters up quicker."

Yes it is definitely different from a handheld and puts a different spin on your progression when hunting. I actually have one of your headlamps and there was absolutely no issue with the light itself, it is a fine headlamp no question, I just did not prefer it and never found myself in a position when I was jammed up and not able to get a free hand etc....Ha, maybe I'm not calling enough critters! I do understand why guys like them for their hands free ability..hunting off a tripod with the light affixed to the forward rail or above my scope, I am able to transition pretty good. But that is my set up and how I'm used to doing it now. To each his own as they say. Also, as brushwolf said, I would also rather move my head slightly and let my eyes to the moving more so than then having my head constantly swiveling. Your point on the light being closer to your eyes makes great sense, alot of times when I hold my scanner it is usually head high, level with my eyes..
PPHA President

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »
Quattro
I have never preferred a hand held light when I have a good head light available. To me when I hunt with the hand held light it is just one more thing to hold and carry and deal with. When a fast reaction is needed i function better with a head light, maybe I just feel comfortable with the head light.
If you feel better hunting with a hand held light that is just fine. I never said it is the only way to hunt at night.
You asked if you are the only one to hunt with a hand held light.
I do not think you are but you are way out numbered by head lights.
I do belive there are others that just use a hand held light. But I feel that they are putting them self at a little disadvantage and more work on the stand.
But if you feel good hunting with a hand held light have at it. You have to enjoy the method you hunt or it will just not be as much fun.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!