Author Topic: Rabies shots now I can hug all the fox I want!  (Read 3598 times)

uncle buck

Rabies shots now I can hug all the fox I want!
« on: February 25, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
There were two times I received rabies shots.. Back in the late  86.. I visited a clinic in Perry county every so many days to get a preventative shot bubble right under my skin.. The shot was expensive and the doc there was doing multiple of trappers and predator caller to make the cost cheap..
Just a few years back  I was skinning the old old old red fox.. Thing was around for a long time.. didn't even have a white tip on it's tail anymore.. As I was skinning it I cut my hand through my rubber glove..  This happens some of us just keep a skinning away.. Should have changed my glove.. This fox had a smell to it to begin with.. Kind of rotting flesh kind of a smell.. However a short period of time passed and my entire hand was getting a tingling feeling around the cut and into the fingers and up my hand... I decided I best go to Harrisburg hospital ER.. They decided because of the symptoms that I best get additional rabies shots. Exposed shots, and the post shots, and of course a  tetanus shot.  Neat thing was to have three nurses shoot my right into aurz cheeks with the exposed rabies shots and the tetanus shot.. 3 shots the first time around right in the butt.. :)  Then I had to go back to the ER every  10 days for about  2 months for the preventative rabies shots.   

Did anyone else ever get the preventative rabies shots or the ones for exposure and preventative.. Was nice that my insurance paid for all of this...Of course the Mrs wasn't to happy with me.. :)  :) :) She has always said to me?   " I have Never Been Bored Being Married To You Jim!" Of course she wanted me to stop skinning fox.. LOL no way!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway you guys ever cut your hand skinning a critter watch for different signs that can mean infection, tetanus, and or rabies... Get right down to the ER!!!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Rabies shots now I can hug all the fox I want!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »
 :) I never did  :-\ can't say if my partner, "Goose" got his rabies shot!   ;) I know he didn't get the distemper one!  ::) I never sit next to him at "Breki"  :(  he sometimes drools!  :o Since he mostly "skuns" Muskrats and an occasional Mink about every 20yrs or so  ::) I guess he's at a low risk  :-\ :-\  but it doesn't hurt to be careful  ;D ;D......................... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Got the series of shots back in the 80's for free  :P :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
I started to get the 3 shot series of the preventative shots... I got the first 2 and after the required waiting period between shots, went for number 3 and was told they quit giving them... I don't remember what it was that caused them to quit them, but they were adamant about not finishing the series... don't know if they started a new serum but never went to try again... I just try to not get bit...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »
After I got the shots.. For some reason I'm afraid of water now...