Author Topic: Help Please! No signs of yotes.....  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Help Please! No signs of yotes.....
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
Coyotes can survive on more than other animals!  They will survive on grass, mice, bugs, garbage, etc.  Things you may not think they eat, they think of as a gourmet meal.  Coyotes have been filmed in major cities like New York City!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
No luck today lol. ...maybe after muzzle loader is done. Idk all I can do is keep trying

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
+1 on what jake said! Coyotes will eat just about anything to survive. They're known to eat calves dung.... The really young calves stomachs can't break down all of the milk proteins right away, so there's plenty of undigested proteins that get passed through the digestive tract and end up in the dung. They'll also eat up the after birth from new born calves. A coyote gets a free buffet around calving time! 
District 5 coordinator

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
Yes if there were alot of cattle farms around me that would be ideal but they're isn't. I'm pretty much stuck hunting game lands. The corn farmers don't really mind the coyote because they keep the deer away from the corn so that's not really an option either.

Offline j76clev2

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 12:23:19 PM »
Don't get discouraged. Biggest thing for me is remembering that we are all here because we love to hunt and i try not focus so much on the kill as I do on the experience.  As far as game lands go, the game commission website can be a good tool.... they have detailed maps of pretty much every property. Sometimes there are clearings or food plots or even gas well or access roads you would never know existed until you check out the property maps.  We are lucky these days finding a property owners contact info and property boarders are as simple as some public record tax search most have phone numbers attatched to the record. Get out scout and scout some more and always hunt the wind.  Best of luck to you.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
+ 1
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »
if you're hunting game lands find out if they have a dead pit, where they throw road kills etc... that may be a place to sit over "bait"...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
I actually just spoke to a guy that told me to call the PGC and ask them where they put the bait piles...sounds like a plan to me! I always play the wind that's the first concern I have before going to a site. I map it first so I get the layout. then I plan my setup from there. Yes I have already downloaded a bunch of game land maps. They are very helpful for boundaries and open fields like you said. also if you go to the padcnr site they also have maps of the game lands that you can download. And they give a brief description of the individual game lands and also what type of game can be found in them as well.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »
Pits where they throw road kill are a good idea. I would save that until the harsh winter weather sets in and times get tough. I have one of those areas close to home. Been keeping an eye on it since archery season. Some coons and opossum, but no yotes!
District 5 coordinator

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 06:20:46 PM »
You have got a great bunch of advice to work with..and sounds as though you are conscience of what basic measures need taken in terms of approach...I think the thing that is holding you back most is lack of coyotes..so many set out and do everything right on a stand..only to call out into the wilderness in hopes of getting a coyote that just isn't there..I know the feeling..your luck will change though..as soon as you figure out what areas to leave in and what ones to leave out and when..scouting is the key..and scouting in all of the seasons can help too.. just keep putting the pieces of info you get through scouting together.. do not get discouraged..it will come together. One thing that can help is trying to find an area where coyotes take refuge during the day and locating what routes they take to go to and from that spot.. set up in between.. either early morning as they return from their night out or in the evening as they leave..this has helped me. Good luck and keep us posted.
PPHA President

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
Ya your exactly right Quattro . I'm doing all the right things just not calling areas with coyote. Or they once we're there and have since moved on. Once I get the right areas I'll do ok I'm sure. Im sneaky as a church mouse in the woods lol. Definitely not my issue. I wouldn't have been able to call 2 reds if I was loud or not wind careful. It just my sits are coyote free. Not saying reds are the smartest either hahaha. When their hungry there isn't to much that's gonna stop  them from coming in.