Author Topic: ICOtech callers heard some of you are using them now  (Read 16313 times)

uncle buck

ICOtech callers heard some of you are using them now
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
ICOtech  this appears to be a real cheap electronic caller.. For those that use it what is the pro and con?... Is there a model that you prefer over the others? I do like my Primos calls... both the old and new... They call in everything.. The Power Dogg is one heck of a coyote calling machine.. The Alpha Dogg now that can call in everything...Been using the newer AD one now about 3 seasons and it's still ticking.. Funny how that little Power Dogg would yank those coyotes chaing bad... So is this ECOtech got nice sounds ?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:36:22 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: ICOtech callers heard some of you are using them now
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
UB
     I've heard all good things about them.  You can now get MFK (Made for killing) sounds on them.  At one time I believe you could get free lifetime sounds as they came out.  Not sure if they are still doing that.  The only downside that I'm aware of is they have a very limited sound library.  And with technology the way it is, I was told (don't know 100% for sure) you can't put other sounds on them from other call makers like Primos or FOXPRO .  I know all of fox pros sounds are real live recordings,  I think some of theirs are man made sounds.

That's my two cents worth.  Not sure if it helps any.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
I have the GC500 which is their best and only model to buy in my opinion.  Cheap?  Cheaper than some.  I got the Tony Tebbe edition with his whole sound library and lifetime subscription.  I think I paid like $240.00 with free shipping.  I also bought about seven MFK sounds.  It is a good caller and works great but not all the bells and whistles like the high end FoxPro's.  The remote is awesome as you do not need line of site and works much better than my FoxPro (as far as distance) but I have the old scorpion.  Mike Dillon says this is because some call manufacturers are not playing by the rules according to the FCC.  Word is that some of their new calls and remote are going the same way so they can compete with this.  FoxPro is still a higher quality call in my opinion but ICoTec is gaining steam.

As far as sounds go mine holds up to 200 sounds and is easily programmed from the computer.  It will play any WAV or MP3 sounds which are store on a removable SD card.  You could literally have thousands of sounds and just switch sd cards but there is really no need for that.  Most sounds are encrypted which protects them from pirating.  FoxPro sounds are also.  Because of this you can not play them on other manufacturers callers.  Tony Tebbes sounds are not encrypted but MFK's are and will only work on ICoTec calls.

JD Piatt is one of the guys behind ICoTech and is a good guy.  The call is not as well made as FoxPro, has an auxilary jack for more speakers and they now sell a decoy that that plugs into the call,  Battery life is excellent so far that I have seen. You can't go wrong with this call but I would pay the extra money and buy tony's call package.  The guy knows coyote vocalization without a doubt.  It does come with 24 ICoTec sounds which are decent also but nothing out of the ordinary.

If your on a budget, ICoTec is the way to go otherwise FoxPro is the best.  Just buy Tony's sounds and put them on the FoxPro call.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
WOW    That was a great informative review Tim.  I'm tempted to buy one simply as a back up to my FOXPRO.  Thank you !!!!

Just curious.....  Which called were you using when your son killed the coyote???
Jake
York, PA

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »
I bought an icotec last year as a backup when I sent my foxpro in for repairs. For the money, I cannot complain. Good little unit with better remote range than my foxpro. Nowadays, I use it from time to time just to have different sounds when calling. Most people use a foxpro, and for good reason. It's just nice to have the option of not sounding like everyone else when the calling gets tough. Just my two cents....
District 5 coordinator

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
I have 2 GC500's. Both with  MFK and ICOTEC sounds.   I'm running there decoy on one also. As far as howls, howling, and locating goes u can't get any more realistic than what comes out of that caller with MFK. There pup distress, hurt coyote ,havoc howl and coyote duet are all sweet sounds.  No problems with remote range or decoy.    For the money there hard to beat.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Great reviews guys...hands on is always the best review :o :o :o...Thank You!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »
I had (have) one  ;D my son ran off with it 2yrs ago and I haven't seen it since  :( :( The remote was my favorite feature for the short time I had it  ;D It worked everywhere 5X better than the Power Dogg and 2X better than my Fox Pro. Being POOR and also cheap I only had a 300 model  :o Had all the sounds you need to kill anything I was looking for,JMO. I think I paid around $75.00 for it about the same as the Power Dogg.   Like UB I like the Power Dogg but I rarely take it because of the remote. If I was RICH like L$F  :P I would not be afraid to buy the better ICOtech caller, again JMO.  8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
MisterJake23, I was using Cottontail Candy because I was targeting fox.  When I saw eyes I went to the bulb squeaker.  That did not stop him so I barked with my voice.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
I'm really considering getting one just for coyotes.  Not sure what sound library to get,  the MFK or Tony Tebbe sounds.   I thought you had to purchase one or the other.  Is it hard to put other sounds on the call?  Do I buy the MFK and add Tony's sounds or vise versa?  I wasn't sure if the MFK sounds being encrypted made a difference ?
Jake
York, PA

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »
Well considering the cost of each sound library and how many sounds in each library, I would purchase the Tony Tebbe library and lifetime subscription.  Tony has 75 sounds for 175.00 and I think MFK is up to 35 for 125.00?  Most of Tony's sounds are real animals but not all.  MFK are all mouth calls but very good also.  Very easy to add sounds if you have a computer.  You can then purchase individual sounds from MFK to add to your ICoTec call.  They are encrypted to only play on ICoTec calls.  Very easy and there is directions that come with the call and even a YouTube video from JD Piatt on how to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIknTuc3Ps

When Tony comes out with a new sound you will get notified via email.  You go to his website and go through the motions of buying the sound and in the end your balance will be $0 and you download the sound to your computer.  Add it to your SD card whenever you want.  I can always help you out also.

Just remember you can not put FoxPro sounds on but you can put on any other calls encrypted for ICoTec or in MP3 format.  You can put Tebbe's sounds on a FoxPro but not MFK.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 06:17:15 AM »
Tim, 

Have you tried to download any of the MP3 johnny stewart sounds on the call?   

Thanks
Scott

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »
Yes, I had no problems.

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
Thank you all for the out standing pro and con on this caller... I don't use the electronic that often.. Most times if I go myself I will use it if I'm after coyotes... Let me set up in the right spot and lets the caller do all the yanking of their chain...

I do have all kind of calls... I haven't used by FoxPro in years now...I think it's the FX5?  The Primos...like Jasper said.. The Power Dogg is best call I ever used for coyotes... Try hanging it in a tree.  The Alpha Dogg I have called in fox and coyotes with that call...  You have to find the speaker with the remote when using the Alpha Dogg.   I have to stand over it and point the remote at the speaker...Then I trigger it and walk to my spot.. This could be a problem since I have actually called in coyotes 20 seconds after using a mouth call for them.. Two Howls and here they come running... This is in Feb time frame..
I like the MFK how they sound.. .They probably would be awesome on an electronic caller..  I will have to keep the ICOtech in mind if I ever decide to get another caller... If you take care of your callers you can have them for years... Remember to do this... When you come back from a hunt.. .Always remove your batteries. Also don't put the callers away wet.. I use to lay all my JS tapes out on the recroom floor if they got wet when calling... I still have every one of those JS tapes from  1986.  My favorite caller I use when hunting gray fox is the FP Model 38... I overlaid the JS Grayfox put to that and the JS RED and GRAY fight.. Just turn that baby on and  it brings them in... I did overlay the GFP to the FoxPro FX5 too.  Truly if there is Gray Fox in your area.. You should get the JS Gray Fox Pup overlaid to your caller not matter what brand it is.. If that will work for you...     
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:41:21 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:37:19 AM »
Ive had my GC500 for a full season..love it ...called in 3 coyotes with it...dozen Fox...great volume,battery life excellent..remote ,no complaints...Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member