Author Topic: T/C Katahdin 460 S & W  (Read 4008 times)

uncle buck

T/C Katahdin 460 S & W
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
I shouldered one of these at the Great Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this past Feb in Harrisburg, Pa. I just couldn't believer how good this gun felt when I shouldered it and looked down the peep sight... I'm an Encore Prohunter  and regular Encore rifle lover...  As you know the 460 S & W not only shoots the 460 but also the 45 Long Colt and the 450 Casull too.  I do like to sit in heavy cover when I hunt deer... Swamps, pine tickets, etc..  The shooting is so close that I could even kill a deer with one of the Cabelas 45 Long Colt Bear designated bullets.. The Christmas has arrived that I will be getting the 460 S & W Katahdin T/C Encore Barrel...

https://youtu.be/iPK_DzRDY_8
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:49:11 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: T/C Katahdin 460 S & W
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »
I had the 45-70 Katahdin barrel, with vents and that thing was just unbearable to shoot, the concussion was brutal... less then 20 shots and it was sold off, wouldn't think of getting rid of the 24" 45-70 barrel... I have no doubts the caliber will kill a deer or pig or a bear for that matter, my only concerns would be finding ammo on a road trip if needed... you can find 45-70 about anywhere, not so much the 460...

I see there are no vents on this 20" 460 barrel, and I think mine was only 18"... being non-vented will make all the difference in noise and concussion...  if you do decide on the 460, 2 things, let us know how it shoots and don't forget to pack your ammo on road trips...    8)
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:53:43 AM »
I would match the ammo to the game animal..Deer I'd probably use the 450 Casull.  Funny I was going to use the 4570 24 inch barrel for deer last year... The kick wasn't bad but the Weaver base became lose.  Normally I install the E. A. Brown Made for Encore mounts and rings... I brought it home and took it apart and applied Lock Tight to the screws...Going to try to shoot it again soon. Hoping the base holds this time.  :(  If that fails I will go to the better E. A. Brown base and rings...I wasn't going to change the provided 460 S & W Williams Peep Sight that comes with the Katahdin. Suppose I best do what they say in the video and use the Pro Hunter action when I do go to this  20 inch barrel...Yes that muzzle blast could be bad in the deer woods.. I remember this year I shot at a woodchuck with my Bond 45/410 Derringer using that Cabelas 45 Long Colt Bear ammo... Wow the muzzle blast for that shot was something else and my ears... I saw 8 nches of fire come out of the barrel too..    :)

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »
Could be... that Cabelas 45 Long Colt Bear Ammo in this Katahdin would be good for a  20-30 yard swamp shot at a deer.. However now your playing games when you should just mount an Encore 3006 24 inch barrel and anchor it right there in that swamp. :)

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »
what I did after securely mounting the bases, I used 3 rings on the 45-70 and the 375 H&H... no slippage with either one regardless of the ammo I chose...

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
I  had my scope base come right off last year after three shots using the two ring on my Encore 24 inch barrel... I'm just going to do what you did.. Order the outstanding mounts that E. A. Brown and get the three ringer... I do have their mounts on my other Encores and have no problems what so ever...

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »
Jim if you're gonna be in the tight stuff, use the 45-70 or the 460 and shoot'em through the shoulders, that'll put'em right down and with the 45-70 you can eat right up to the hole... just use off the shelf 400gr trapdoor ammo, that's slow enough there'll be no blood shot meat, and lets the air outta them real quick...