Author Topic: Gun for coyote and fox?  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
Gun for coyote and fox?
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:29:36 AM »
I know this is a subject that is personal opinion and it could be so many different things but for what is on the market right now and what people are using and having success, what is the best gun for coyote and doc with minimal fur damage. Shot a coyote at 75 yards with 22-250 in the neck and blew a decent hole in it. Wasn't real happy about it but it dropped. Trying to find a gun that might be a little lighter on fur damage. Also accurate and not something that is gonna take all the money I have to buy it. Like I said I know it all depends on ammo and everything else but what has everyone else had success with? I hunt big fields with possibly long shots and woods with short shots. So all around.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Gun for coyote and fox?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:44:20 AM »
 ;) I recommend a Ruger American Predator in 223, Very light, won't break the bank (approx $300) and if you reload there are numerous weight bullets that I have found to be fur friendly  ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »
T/C Venture 204  Stay away from ballistic tipped bullets and you will be fine on both fox and coyotes.
T/C is also running a rebate now so that helps the wallet alot.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:23:13 AM »
I also like the 204 Ruger.  It's very flat shooting and fast.  I use 40 grain Hornady bullistic tips and have very minimal fur damage on coyotes.  It's a little much for fox though.

The 223 is a nice caliber and you can get a good variety of loads.  However,  if you shoot a light load for fox and a beefier load for coyotes,  you may have to adjust your sights.  Each load will shoot different
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
See I was looking at the 204 but everyone said just stay with the gun you have now which is a 22-250. I like it but just seems to make big holes. I like the 204 just don't know what grain and type of bullet and what type of gun. I don't reload.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »
Change your bullets... If you hunt out in the sticks without houses around and know your backstop you could try Partiton bullets.. They don't explode of course and you can get them in factory rounds.. If you reload you can reload them...

Gerald Stewart did a video on using the 223 Silvertip .224 50 and 55 grain bullets... He claimed they did less fur damage... They can be had in factory ammo...

I still think the  204 Ruger would blow up your fur.. I have an Encore barrel for that calibers and it blows up all the chucks I shoot with it....

First try different bullets. Go out and shoot a few chucks with them.. I have reloaded the Silvertips in my 22250 because of Gerald Stewart comments.. My finding were:  from point blank out to about 60 yards now blow up on chucks.. However past  60 yards it does blow up the chucks.  I was using 50 grainers Silvertips.. I don't know why after the longer distance develops it turns into a vermin round just to kill... 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
I like a .222 with Jim Calhouns double hollow point in 42gr.   

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
T/C Venture 204  Stay away from ballistic tipped bullets and you will be fine on both fox and coyotes.
T/C is also running a rebate now so that helps the wallet alot.

Like Bowman said, any ballistic/polymer tipped bullet, no matter the caliber/gr chosen, can cause fur damage based on a few different factors..I have seen a 20 gr vmax out of a 17hh do more damage to a fox than a 60gr Nosler partition out of a 22-250..so there are many factors and choices to consider...and lots of opinions and personal experiences. I stick with a 17 hornet with factory Vmax for fox and .204 32 or 40 gr vmax for coyotes...
PPHA President

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Ya know, it doesn't matter what cal you use.... ??? ??? ??? ???...what matters is shot placement  :-\ :-\ :-\ a neck shot with any fast traveling bullet that hits bone will blow a hole  :P :P :P :P iffin you can place one between the ribs not hitting bone, 9 times out of 10 you will be tracking.. :P :P :P head shot messy but fatal and a big hole sometimes......while caliber is everyone's choice, shot placement is an even bigger factor, that's my story and I'm stickin to it  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X but sometimes you don't have a choice...think about it!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
I think you need to take a close look at what your specific needs are.You already mentioned fur damage which is a big consideration.What percentage of Fox versus coyotes will you be calling in?Are you in a highly populated area where noise could bring some unwanted attention?In my area its probably 90%fox ,10% coyotes so I select a caliber that is fur friendly for fox.17 hmr on the low end up to 223 on the high end.The Hornets seem to be in the sweet spot for fox or even the wsm if you can find one with decent accuracy.For coyotes probably the hornets on the low end up to the 243 on the high end.
 As far as what brand,most are accurate enough to get the job done.I probably wouldn't be afraid of any of them except maybe the early savage wsm.