Author Topic: Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices  (Read 25034 times)

uncle buck

Re: Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
I learned a lot form this study... there was a time the doctor had a 1 hour Youtube video that gave you all kinds of valuable data you could use to know the Eastern Coyotes... Maybe someone on here that knows what I'm talking about can post that video link if they have it..  http://theconservationagency.org/coyote/

Some of the data spelled out just how they think and where they like to have their dens.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:16:58 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
UB   Great link.   I enjoyed the info in one the article
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
UB   Great link.   I enjoyed the info in one the article

Agreed...cool link.
PPHA President

uncle buck

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »
Some of the things I remember from the study video are:   If a coyotes starts to eat say sheep... Just like us they develop and taste for it.. we like the same kind of salad or a pizza with a pepperoni topping...Once they start to eat the same thing over and over again they like it and they will start to kill it...I think about all the deer pits that are all over ever PGC.. wonder if we are making the coyotes like venison by them feeding on the dead deer that are thrown into these pits.. grant you the deer are dead but are we getting them to like the taste of venison...Same for cats... You feed cats or feral cats in you backyard.. The coyotes come in start to eat the cat food and then the cats too.. They get this hankering for feline like that.. People are their own worse enemies.. many of the tree huggers that feed animals are actually selling their death sentence. Piles of dead chickens on a farm. yep we are getting those coyotes to start to kill the live chickens... I would think the same applies for fox too.. they start to eat the dead chickens on a pile then they like it and then start to kill the farmers live chickens..

All dens will be close to water or in a swamp area...

I learned something myself about the two types of coyote packs.. .Ones that have smaller populations that live off the land and eat what is natural.. it said they have  3-7 adults in their pack.. The  ones that people put out feed for there can be up to  20 adult coyotes in that pack... they rely on humans to feed them..

I once read a story about how coyotes react to the moon phase... Author claimed that on nights with out a full moon and dark nights they were more prone to calling then on full moon nights. However on full moon nights they were more vocal.. Something coyotes get more paranoid coming to calls on full moon nights because they know they can be seen...

Neat reading today in the web link if you see coyote scat around.. that a good indications that it's their core area... Core areas is where they hang out, sleep, etc..

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:08:28 AM by uncle buck »

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
Some of the things I remember from the study video are:   If a coyotes starts to eat say sheep... Just like us they develop and taste for it.. we like the same kind of salad or a pizza with a pepperoni topping...Once they start to eat the same thing over and over again they like it and they will start to kill it...I think about all the deer pits that are all over ever PGC.. wonder if we are making the coyotes like venison by them feeding on the dead deer that are thrown into these pits.. grant you the deer are dead but are we getting them to like the taste of venison...Same for cats... You feed cats or feral cats in you backyard.. The coyotes come in start to eat the cat food and then the cats too.. They get this hankering for feline like that.. People are their own worse enemies.. many of the tree huggers that feed animals are actually selling their death sentence. Piles of dead chickens on a farm. yep we are getting those coyotes to start to kill the live chickens... I would think the same applies for fox too.. they start to eat the dead chickens on a pile then they like it and then start to kill the farmers live chickens..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncle Buck...Here is something I have noticed personally last year when I started to experiment with bait piles and trail cams...On the piles I usually had either dead calves or deer carcasses or both and of the two, there were times when the deer would be totally picked over and the calves would remain untouched..all the activity was caught on trail cams...sometimes once the deer was reduced to bones the calve carcasses remained untouched even while the coyotes would still visit the piles periodically....just to nose around...it was amazing to me that a coyote or in some instances more than one, would eat the deer remains entirely and not touch a fresh calf carcass. We even went as far as to skin the calves to make it "easier to consume" and had the same results...perhaps these coyotes had a taste for deer and not calf meat?? I don't know about that..but I can say this scenario happened often..Also, at another location, we had a cam'd pile that was 99% food scraps..it would get visited regularly by coyotes..they would eat watermelon, baked beans all kinds of things..I dumped a calf out there one time and the coyotes didn't touch it..don't know whether it amounts to anything but I can say with certainty that the deer was always the top choice at any of the various locations.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:22:35 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

uncle buck

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »
That is some good research there... I had bird dogs that would eat apples, greenbeans, etc but they would never eat a McDonalds cheeseburger or hamburger.. they'd sniff it but that's about it... birddogs are unique critters.. Bird dogs would be a Britt and a Lab...

My friends in Texas told me that the coyotes there will go up behind a calf and eat the fecal matter right out of it's vent aka aurz...

uncle buck

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »
What did strike me funny was in the data from the New England report again.. Was that when people feed the coyotes the adult population increases up to  20 adults...If the coyotes live naturally off mice and etc and fend for themselves the population will be  3-7 adults... See I keep telling everyone you got to hunt coyotes just like the mammals that we are... Sounds like the majority of the coyotes become  freeloaders  taking handouts just like the humans that don't want to work for a living... "MY NAME IS JIMMY ALL TAKE ALL YOU GIMMIE!"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:38:30 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 12:41:42 AM »
I would like to share one more thing... I know this guy that doesn't even call coyotes... He got permission to hunt on this chicken farm... the farmers throws out all the dead chickens on a pile... this guy I know gets a folding lawn chair, wraps in a blanket and just waits for coyotes to come to that bait pile...He has killed two coyotes already doing that.....

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 02:11:40 AM »
     In the summer time I shoot groundhogs.  I'll gather a few up and put them in the freezer.  When I go up north to camp I'll take them up with me and put them out.  Without fail, within 48 hours, I have coyotes on trail cam and the ground hogs are gone. 

I'm up at camp every chance I get.  Very seldom do I ever see a ground hog.  Definitely not enough for coyotes to get an acquired taste for.  But like I said....  It's not long before they have them cleaned up !!  Is it the smell, or food of opportunity??  Either way,  I plan on using this "method" to hunt coyotes in the very near future!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
 ??? ??? I'm wondering...brain in gear for once and after reading the above and coyote food selections  ??? ??? ??? Ground hog and deer are both not influenced by man (not high in meds/chemicals). Veggies/fruit was probably washed so chems gone there....just another twist to the equation  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
Jake
How are you keeping the groundhog in place for the cameria?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »
Heres the cam pics at the food scrap pile..mini watermelon and coyote there..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:30:55 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 10:01:49 PM »
one sequence later, watermelon gone...
PPHA President

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Some deer pile pics at another location..this pair wouldn't touch a calf that was located very close by..had 2 other different coyotes, easily ID'd because one had no tail hair and the other had a very patchy hide, unlike the ones in the pics, that didn't bother with it much at all either...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:28:48 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »
Years back I followed Fox. Then Coyote appeared about 30 years ago and I followed them.
If you ever followed Fox and Coyote on a fresh snow or during extreme conditions, they will go from Groundhog hole to Groundhog hole leading you to every hole in the area or as far as you want to follow. Fox and Coyote are very active with the 'first snow'.

I have folks that ride along with me from time to time and always ask, 'how can you catch a Fox or Coyote in the wide open field or picked Corn field?' I don't say the Groundhog hole is the attraction, I just say I put a trap where they travel. But the Groundhog hole is the main attraction for sure.
Here's a series Groundhog holes I've been trapping for almost 50 years.
I average 11 to 20 Fox a season at this location.

This picture is the same location (but a bit further away), same season, different day.
The Groundhog holes are at the top of the rise, the dark spot. This set is the money maker. Away from holes, in the end rows lined up with main rows and row to the Groundhog holes. This year, I think I caught 14 Reds in this set and only 1 Red near the holes (above picture).

Way back when, I knew Fox & Coyote frequent Groundhog holes, so I ask myself...How can I use a Groundhog hole for predator calling?
I use certain Groundhog holes a 'bait stations'.
Not visible by air
Not visible to people
Canines visit these spots
I can dump in lure and bait
They have to work and spend some time there
I can pick likely best locations
I've tried to 'draw' Fox & Coyote, but better found that baiting close to there regular travel is like putting out the feed dish for a pet Dog or Cat.