Predator Hunting > Predator Biology

Increased coyote numbers and fox hunting practices

(1/12) > >>

QUATTRO:
Been mulling this over for a while and wasn't quite sure how to present it.  I will do my best.

It's a widely known fact that increased numbers of coyotes in an area will decrease the fox numbers. So, knowing this, if we are seeing more and more coyotes while in the field,  should we not alter our hunting practices or limit the amount of fox we harvest and just manage the coyote population the best we can? Or is it a no win situation if the coyotes are moving in?? Guess my thinking is, if we are out calling or trapping fox that are also in turn being eliminated by the encroaching coyotes, we are decimating the population even quicker, right?  On the other hand, I guess another viewpoint could be if the coyotes are coming its a done deal and we should harvest what we can while it lasts. There is a lot of focus put on how coyotes effect the deer population, the small game and game bird population and rightly so, but how about their fellow fur bearer the fox? It is already discussed in some circles but thought we could entertain it here. I think of a fellow I know of who lives in Ohio and does a number on coyotes..but he has quite a bit of trouble nailing a fox..why? Because they are being wiped out. I can remember him telling a story of how  surprised he was when he came across a red fox den and some kits playing while he was out hunting groundhogs. Said it had been a long time since he saw that. What are your thoughts?

Misterjake23:
I think that it's only a matter of time before  the coyotes take over and the fox population dwindles.  Other than man,  coyotes have no enemies. 

Huntin 4 yotes:
I seen one fox last year driving down the road and another the year before on a trail cam picture. The fox are gone from my area. Last fox I called in was probably 8-10 years ago, and  the guys that trap around here agree. 
First coyote sign I seen here was about 15 years ago.  Are the coyotes to blame?  Well, when I walk in the woods and see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the fresh snow, I'd say they have an impact on all the wildlife here including the deer.  Now fishers magically appeared on the property I hunt.... Wonder how they got there???

uncle buck:
I was talking to my fur buyer about this.. Was I whacking a farm to much... So I take 12 red fox off the land.  So I start to walk on those same land after the season ends and there are red fox tracks all over the place and in pairs too..  So the furmans response is if they are there you won't hurt them..

What happens is the coyotes actually make the land a red fox ghost town.. They just move on to somewhere else. As the crow flys not more then 2 miles away that predator hunter is getting zero 0 fox and nothing but coyotes.. So looks like his red fox moved over to my farm...

:MY FARMS BETTER THEN YOUR FARM MY FARMS FILLED WITH RED FOX!" "MY FARMS BETTER BECAUSE YOURS GOT COYOTES MY FARMS BETTER THAN YOURS!" Sung to the Kennel Ration Dog Food Commercial.. !!! :)  :)

QUATTRO:

--- Quote from: Huntin 4 yotes on March 22, 2015, 11:06:51 PM ---I seen one fox last year driving down the road and another the year before on a trail cam picture. The fox are gone from my area. Last fox I called in was probably 8-10 years ago, and  the guys that trap around here agree. 
First coyote sign I seen here was about 15 years ago.  Are the coyotes to blame?  Well, when I walk in the woods and see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the fresh snow, I'd say they have an impact on all the wildlife here including the deer.  Now fishers magically appeared on the property I hunt.... Wonder how they got there???

--- End quote ---

Fishers are some killing machines...whats worse than a weasel?...a weasel on steroids..AKA a 15lb. fisher..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version