Author Topic: 17 Hornet reloads... This particular size powders are tough to load  (Read 4123 times)

uncle buck

I was thinking my scales were all off: the two below listed loads were difficult to load into the  17 Hornet case.. Frustrated a bit I just decide not even to use the two below listed powders.. I did check all kinds of manuals and web sites  and they do recommend these two powders for the  25 grain Berger HP.. 17 Hornet loads..???????????????????????????????????????
I used the nondigital RCBS and nondigital Lee scale.. I'm going to have to try out a digital scale I have to see if that also gives me the same reading as the nondigital scales.

Hodgon Powders:

H4198

H322

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:22:47 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Outdoors_man

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: 17 Hornet reloads... This particular size powders are tough to load
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
maybe you need a long drop tube.  (You didn't say what the problem was/is.)

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »
I was thinking about it. The grains of those two powders are larger then the fine grain ones. I think much of it stuck inside the mouth of the 17 Hornet case because of excess lube! See it wouldn't flow because of larger granuals sticking to inside mouth.  I will try again without giving  the inside mouth any lube. I wanted small bullet to slide in with little effort.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:33:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
 :( :( :( UB the only lube inside of any of my case necks is Mica and it's dry... ??? ??? ??? ??? I use that when punching out the old primer and resizing the case  ??? ??? ??? ??? No wet lubes..
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
I went back this afternoon and visited both powders and used no lube and I got three each loads for each powder.. That's what it was. I didn't use any lube on the seating of the bullets. I actually went and used new cases too but that didn't matter it was the lube..

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:15:48 PM »
you need to keep those contaminated loads separate and watch when you're shooting them... that lube contamination could cause squibs or misfires... you sure don't want a bullet stuck in the bore and light off another one behind it...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
UB, to add on to what Dale said, I would pull the bullets, dump the powder down the drain, clean the neck of the case and start all over again. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »
CJ & D thank you for your concerns..