Author Topic: Coleman Scanoe should I be upset that i have to repair it  (Read 2975 times)

uncle buck

Coleman Scanoe should I be upset that i have to repair it
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
I got this Coleman Scanoe back in 1984. I have some cracks in it now but it is 31 years old this year.. Cracks developed where the seat bars attach to the side of the hull.. So she still seaworthy... Previously I'd patch here up with some Epoxy sealant.. it last couple years.. This year I'm going to do some Plastic Welding on it...YOUTUBE is neat you go on there and you see how people repair some of the plastic kayaks and the Coleman  Canoe and Scanoes.. I haven't use her in a few years hence why I want to just do the cosmetic corrections to her now...However I want to get out there and do some serious trolling for trout on some of the SCPA lakes...So I got me a Heat Gun coming in and some Plastic Welding rod and of course a plastic welding iron.. Looking forward to playing around with it.. Some people on the youtube repair the plastic boats by using caulking tape.. they drill two holes that stops the crack from spreading.. I'm going to do that to right before I do the plastic weld.. However they put on a strip of caulking tape and heat it up with the Heat Gun. Do another off set tape heat it up, then another off set caulking piece of tape heat up then another etc etc.. The glue from the caulking tape that melts with some of the fabric sill the hole.. They do this from the inside of the boat..  Some guys will take the bottom of a plug from RAIN X product and make a patch out of that where there is big holes..  Notice one neat thing? You take Supper Glue and you fill the crack with it then you immediately throw some baking soda on it.. the Chemical reactions turns it into a hard plastic... I just might do this on the inside of the Scanoe where the crack is after I do a plastic weld on the outside of the Scanoe with the welding iron and plastic welding rods. There is screen that you can add to the weld to make it stronger.. They recommend you use the screen that is the type to keep bugs out .. Screen door type screen the real close weave...So should you see me cruising across the lake with the probably going to be UGLY LADY don't laugh at her.  She be 31 years old and going strong... You know where she got damaged at? I use to keep her at one of the Pa Fish And Boat commission lakes all year round.  From April until  November.. people climbing all over her..or be from all the heavy aurrrrz that sat on them there seats.. However it wasn't mine aurz!!! So...I have fixed her before in the same areas with epoxy but looking forward to drilling her first and the apply all the stuff I talked about above..Yep the Ole Scanoe is going to have a medical procedure done on her!! Again!!!!  I was looking at a Scanoe in Dunhams the other day.. $349.00 for a brand new one... I think that's what I paid for the ole girl 31 years ago..????????