Author Topic: Wind Direction is so important makes sure you use indicators  (Read 1820 times)

uncle buck

Wind Direction is so important makes sure you use indicators
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
I have two different APPS is use on my IPHONE now that show me my scent cone when I  get to my calling area or check before I get there...GPS coordinates are loaded automatically and a map appears that shows you where your scent cone is going from and too on the property map that appears on your phone.. Liked it big time hunting this year and I was lucky to get some venison for the freezer this winter using it..

Flags at buildings as you travel from point A to Point B... this was my old method I used most... MICKEY D's all fly flags at night that are illuminated.. Going from Point A to B check MICKEY D's flags. and all others in your hunting area... Get to know who fly an illuminated flag at night.. still good if the wind shifts and the APPS don't catch it on the weather portion of the GPS map..

Buy some cheap baking soda and fill small squirt bottles to show wind direction.. Pleas don't pay  $8.00 for some companies wind direction powder in a spray bottle.. 365 days a year you see a good squeeze bottle somewhere in your travels .. .Scuff it up...

Feather on a string is also good... I purchased a set of two once.. small feather attached to a string that is attached to a ROACH CLIP..  you could make your own if you get a ROACH Clip in a electrical store..

Split open non-waxless dental floss... WAXLESS... Open up the ends and Fray it out a bit.. that will give you wind direction too... By the generic brand in Walmart of Giant mkt.. remember waxless spoken here!!!!

I use to be one of those guys that would hunt with the wind at my back all the time.. I might do it on occasion if there is an obstacle down wind of me that a predator can't go through.. Most times I hunt with the wind in my face now.. I will hunt crosswind too but always make sure there is an obstacle to your side that the wind blows to.. See the predators can't go through obstacles. Now there will be times that a smart coyote will come in between two obstacles to your calling.. Can't change that.. You will have an outstanding story to tell if they do that.. Wow can I tell you some story's about them doing that.. However WIND DIRECTION it's so important for all hunting..

I do have a question?  Do you think if the wind is blowing toward a woodchuck hole they won't come out because the chuck or the aka Whistle Pig can also smell you sitting up on a hill.. Maybe I should be hunting them cross wind of the hole????????????????????????????????
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:00:25 PM by uncle buck »