Author Topic: Thoughts on calling in the woods  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Thoughts on calling in the woods
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on calling in the woods at night were. I have read that the shadows off the trees spook coyotes. Not sure how true that is but the reason i ask is today I was out calling cats durning the day and found a lot of cat tracks. There are some fields around but if I can't pull them out to the fields I was thinking about going into the woods and wanted some opinions. 
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Thoughts on calling in the woods
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »
Bigcat
Go calling, just pick the best place to see the most area in the woods or preffurbly an old road you can see down.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
Buckwheat it the nail on the head

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
I have seen a pattern developing... Just like you really should set a trap for coyotes out in the field a bit not in the deep woods.. I tend to call in more coyotes when I hunt the wide open fields.. If I do call where there is woods I call in a field toward the woods.. Good place would be where a field ends and the mountains begin..

watch for farms that have pockets of rabbits in the  same area at night... Coyotes know those rabbits are there and you can call them in to those corners with mouth calling rabbit distress..  Let say there is a field and a tree line and a place the rabbits like with a little cover in it.  Call in that area with the rabbit distress but use a shotgun since the coyotes sometimes come through that wide open field pass the tree line and enter the area that have the rabbit populations in..

How do you know when an area has the rabbit populations... One you will see a lot of rabbit tracks in the snow... However when your calling even in October your red led will catch rabbit eyes hiding in the cover.. remember that and always return to those properties and hunt with the wind in your face and do the dying rabbit with a mouth call.. again use a shotgun not a rifle...I have actually had all hunters empty their semiautomatic shotgun on an incoming fox and coyote in this type of set up...