Author Topic: Trout? whats better mono or Fluorocarbon line?  (Read 7916 times)

uncle buck

Trout? whats better mono or Fluorocarbon line?
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
I decided that this year I'm going to start to do some wadding again in the Yellow Breeches and Mountain Creek. use a fly pole some days but other days use my spinning gear... It's been a long time since I actually wadded for trout.. I was just happy fishing from the shore at a lake or along the stream.. So many things have happened since then.. Mono line, Braided Line, and Fluorocarbon lines are now available to use. I use to be more worried about the pound test instead of what the line was made of... Most times if I fished the banks it was just plain old mono.. trolling I have used braided line...So what is the real advantage of using the Fluorocarbon line in the trout streams or even the lakes???? Is it more for lures or is it for bait fishing too...

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Trout? whats better mono or Fluorocarbon line?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »
I go to Walmart the week before season and grab a small spool of stren 6lb test and put it on my reel. I don't worry about all the fancy stuff and I catch a lot of trout every year with it.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:46 AM »
 ;D B66  ;D I agree..last yr I bought some braid...no stretch,no bird nest....after using it a couple of times I remembered why I quit 1st time....fraying,slipping and hard on the hands....I use Mono..4 for trout,6 for bass and rope 15-20 for cats.... ;D ;D......... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D And here I thought you were still using ¼ sticks  ??? ??? ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »
Fluorocarbon for me. A local Bass fisherman put me on to fluorocarbon years ago. UB, I forget the advantages, but I like it.
I go from 4 lb. test early season then 2 lb. test though the summer.
Mountain stream, where the water is Gin clear and the Trout are finicky/spooky, I will tie on about four feet of invisible sewing machine thread for a leader.
With lighter line, make sure you have the drag adjusted right and don't lift Trout's head out of the water, beach 'em or net 'em.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
Thank you for the outstanding info Hern.
I have been starting to use Trout Magnets and many do recommend the Flourcarbon line when using that lure.  I did some serious fishing. with them in the  Yellow Breeches last June and used  Mono line. Could be the time of the  year. No trout just Rock bass, Chubs, And Fall Fish!  Maybe no more trout left at Breeches Messiah College area of stream!!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:47:08 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Hern hit it on the head.  A must for trout and steelhead in low and clear water.  It doesn't reflect light like mono so it's almost invisible once in the water.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
2lb maxima brown or green,  size 16 or 18 hooks,  smallest splitshot they make, just use enough to get it down to the bottom may have to use 3 or 4 at times.   3 to 5 maggots on the hook, hook them between the eyes lightly.   

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
I guess I best the fluorocarbon on my fishing reels.. I purchased mine about 7 weeks ago... Won't be long...

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »
notice that the mfg of the Trout Magnet lure recommends that you use the Fluorocarbon line...

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
Scott do you use your maggot set up in streams like that or in lakes? I was in a Fly shop in Va and notice how small the split shots size is for fly fishing.. Some looked like the size of number  #12  shot.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »
that stepup is for streams.     you always want your splitshots rolling on the bottom.   not too much weight to stick it like catfishing and too little weight will keep it over them.   cast out and upstream of where the fish are and let it bounce into them.   when your line stops it is either bottom or fish.  pick your rod tip up slow and feel for fish or sometimes you will see them flash, set the hook.   i do not like floro line.   two times we had it on our bass poles we took it off within an hour of fishing with it and replaced it with mono.   

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
Scotts technique is spot on.  I am a spinner guy but will switch to trout magnets on occaision.  We are killing the fish under the ice this year jigging with trout magnets.  Almost any color seems to work in the winter but having the best luck with Red and dark green with red sparkles.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
I have heard nothing but good things about the Trout Magnets... I tried them late into the season in the breeches and if only the Rock bass and Fall Fish would let them alone maybe I'd get that last trout that was still in the water from stocking>>Best place I found to buy them is wally world... of course if you went to Basspro and Cabelas who knows what colors you would find there...Some guys remove the bobber when using them in streams other keep the bobber on.?????????

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
Scott.....Do people from NEPA now use Velvetta Cheese.. I remember when I got out of the USCG I returned home to Bowmans creek to fish with a friend.. People down here turned me on to Vellvetta... I tried the Velvetta at the PGL at Noxen in Bowmans Creek.  I caught my limit in 30 min!!!!!!