Author Topic: Ice Fishing-15  (Read 22079 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Ice Fishing-15
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
 ;D Hey Ben!  ;D Have you been out there yet??? I was told ice is 4-5 inches on Holman..I am going up today and check if anyone is about and how thick  ??? Can't wait but not going till it's safe  ;) ............ 8)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Ice Fishing-15
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
They were on local ponds last weekend. I doubt i'll be out fishing till the water gets soft again. I go under the knife for a hernia thu.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( Awh Ben, here I thought it was only we overly mature people doing that kind of stuff.. :P :P :P :P Prayers will be sent and please keep us posted on your progress.. ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Hopeful for a steady hand and a fast recovery Ben!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »
Keep us updated.  Prayers are with you
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:40:18 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 06:11:38 AM »
 :( Sorry to hear this  :(  I had a double done in 2004  :P Here's a tip....do not over do it to soon afterward. I was told ,you will be going again in 2 weeks. Give it some time, because as another Dr. advised me, it's a small incision on the outside but major work was done inside....GOOD LUCK with it. I have never had a problem since and hope you can say the same... ;D ............................ 8)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 06:21:52 AM »
 :) Went to Holman, yesterday  ;D there were about 8-10 out.  ;D  Some of the ice was an off color yellow -brown.  ??? I always thought, that was supposed to be unsafe...This pond gets choked with algae in the summer and I am wondering if that has any effect on the ice safety, or freezes into the ice and this is normal  ???  To much of a rookie ice fisherman to know these things yet. >:(............. 8)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
yellow brown is probably from weeds,  should be clear black ice this time of year.   We were cutting 6 inches of solid black ice at my place on sunday.  with the rain and this cold weather we will be cutting 10" to a ft this weekend.   Ice that is not as safe would be the milky white ice, also if the ice looks blue/grey,  kinda like a coon that is almost prime but not, stay off that stuff, usually see that near the end of the season. 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D jaspr1 don't put on a bikini and do any swimming  :P :P :P :P fish at the market is gooder  ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:02:10 AM »
 ;D Scott..thanks for the info  ;D ;D "Goose" !. You are always raining on the parade.. >:( >:(  2. You are just   ::)  mad ..if I did wear a  "bikini" I would be the cover on next months Ice Fisherman magazine...whereas you would be on Salvage Yard Quarterly..  ::) ::) 3. I don't like square fish.. :P :P :P :P......... :o.... 8) 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Junk Yard Overly Mature Dog  :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
Anybody doing any ice fishing? I have been out 3 times now and it has been less than colossal. Apparently others are not doing that well either just a fish now and then. I see a bunch pick up and leave...got snowed out today...... 8)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:46:28 PM by jaspr1 »

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »
Jaspr...After you end up ice fishing.. stick a wood chuck down half way in the ice hole... Return at night to that state park if they let you shoot on the lake... You could get yourself a coyote like that..Don't shoot some fool ice fisherperson out there at night though...You just wait and watch the chuck in the ice for a coyote to appear...Maybe you know of a private pond you can do this on and the farmer will have no problem with it.. Problem is getting yourself a chuck now.. Other vittles will work too if they look like a critter!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:58:15 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »
I always wanted to go ice fishing.. My problem is I'm hunting predators right to the end of the season...I have all that stuff too.. Got it on clearance.. heard tell the Marburg is good around where the bridges cross the channels... Perch... Northerns, and walleyes...There was a bait shop in Hanover that was even open Sunday Mornings for ice fisherperson.. I think that would be on RT 116.. Old gas station.. Might still be open.. Could get yourself some of those big shinners and go after Marburg Northerns.  I  talked to a guy that ice fished around where the canoe cove is...Figure.. logic whre the bridges do cross that small area is a part of the channels that go from the larger area to the other larger area.. hence that be a channel right smack in the middle of the bridges.. Fish like to lay in the channels in the lakes..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:06:43 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( UB, yo want a Purry county boy to waste a ground hog.. :o :o :o :o that's half of Harrisburg surf and turf... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member