Author Topic: 17 Hornet Reloads  (Read 8445 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
17 Hornet Reloads
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »
Just wondering what the 17 hornet shooters are using as far as bullets and powder and what the results have been.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 Hornet Reloads
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
I use factory Hornady 20 gr.  I take all head shots.  I never had a problem.  I actually shot a Coyote  (Head shot) with it anad put it right down.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
Do you think factory loads are a little hot for fox?They might work pretty well on coyotes though.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
ABolt is the only one I know that reloads 17 hornet.  Maybe he will chime in or you can send him a PM.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:28:30 AM by Lookn4Fur »
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
     I take all head shots and don't have any problems.  However, last year I hit a Coyote behind the shoulder and it ran off and I never did find it.  I knew it was a good hit, just not enough to bring it down.  This year I shot a coyote with the 17 hornet and took a head shot....she never moved.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
Just about any 17cal. will kill a coyote. It just might take a day or two if you use 17 cal ballistic tips except for head shots. The 17 cals. are a fussy cal. I only shoot 25 and 30 gr. hollow points. I have killed a few coyotes with the17 but the bullet placement has to be perfect. If you are targeting coyotes only use a bigger gun. They are very tough to anchor. If there is no snow for tracking you will lose them. I would recomend a 223 or larger gun with 55 grain soft point. I still use my 17 rem.with 25gr. hollow points for all my predator hunting. But if i was in a money hunt the 17 would
stay home and the 223 or 243 would come out of storage.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 12:21:33 AM »
Look like  Midway USA should be getting their 17 cal bullets in.. They have been on back order now for months. It's DOGTOWNS and they are 20 grain HP.. Once they arrive I'm going to reload some  17 Hornet for chuck season. Then use them next fox season.. 

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
I agree with you Ernie,  the 17 hornet is very light for coyotes.  I hit one last year behind the shoulder and never did find it.  This year I learned and took a head shot and she dropped in her tracks.  For coyotes I prefer the 204 Ruger or  a 22-250!
Jake
York, PA

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
Jake what sort of results are you getting shooting head shots on fox?... any blown up melons?... are the bullets staying inside the fox?...  when I was shooting the 22 K-Hornet 40gr V-Max bt's, only very occasionally would I blow up a head, a lot of bulged eyes but only seldom a blown off crown or ear if they were hit to high...

as far as reloading, I have yet to do any as I acquired almost 4 cases of Hornady 20gr factory stuff...  when I do start it'll be with lil-gun for powder and either V-Max 20 or 25gr, Berger 25gr HP's or Hornady 25g Match HP's... for primers I'm gonna try Federal sm pistol primers, and if the pressure is to high for them I'll go to CCI sm rifle match...

I'm wondering why no one is making BT bullets for the 17's...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 05:21:33 AM »
With head shots I have had no damage at all.  A tiny entrance hole and no exit at all
Jake
York, PA

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
Dale
Hornaday and some custom shops make 25 to 32 gr. Boat tail hollow points.
Burger 25gr hollow points are flat base.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
I sort of figured there'd not be to much damage with the small light bullets, was a bit curious about the speed though... good to hear they're not tearing them up...

I'll have to check into some of the customs, I have all those I listed above on hand now...  just wish I had a closer spot to shoot, 50 minutes each way...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »
Dale
If you shoot at body with the 20 gr balistic tip you will have runner and a lot if splashes. I hate the 20 gr ballistic tips. To violent. God for rats and crows.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
Dale
If you shoot at body with the 20 gr balistic tip you will have runner and a lot if splashes. I hate the 20 gr ballistic tips. To violent. God for rats and crows.

that's about what I was thinking...  I've got about 100 cases empty now may have to roll up some 25's and see what happens...

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:23 AM »
I found some 25 grain Berger  HP at Brownells. Where do you get the 30 Grain Berger HP?  Maybe I would be better off using the 30 grainer in my 17 Rem or 17 Fireball.  The 17 Hornet 20 grain VMAX factory rounds are great for fox. I only had one rip when I hit the lower chest cavity.