Everything Else > Suggestions

Members Only vs Open forum

(1/4) > >>

Carl:
Why is so much of our forum available to non-members? I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but i don't visit the forums too much, mainly because it seems that every time I do visit...
1) there is very little activity on it
2) when I scroll to the bottom there might be 1 or 2 members and a dozen guests on line.

It seems since I've been a member since 2010 or so the same handful of names seem to be the only active people on the forums.

Now I don't know anything about the financials of the PPHA, but it seems like we would get more members by making visitors join to view the forum.

My thoughts are why pay for something when you can get it for free? I feel like that is the mentality of the guest users on the forum.

Just a thought that I've been thinking for a long time.

On a side note I'm excited for another season to get rolling and waiting anxiously to see what kind of contests are in store for the coming months!

Pa Goosehntr:
Hmmmm...did you ever think that by letting non-members view what we do that they may become interested and join, vice building a wall where they can't see what we do??? and the potential of joining is zilch....

Carl:
I don't believe that is an issue. Predator hunting is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. With the limited amount of information available for eastern predator hunting vs western hunting I think we are selling ourselves short. I think it would be better if we as a club were more oriented to join now and then get access to all this information, plus the hunts/club benefits as apposed to the vast amount of free information we have now.

I think that the online hunts and contests have the most to do with member sign ups. To me the magazine alone isn't much of a reason to be a member, nor is the members only section of the forum.

I'm not looking for fights or online arguments just making a suggestion

Buckwheat:
Carl
Good question and hard to answer. When you have a chat board and want things it takes people to moderate the board and coordinate with other officers to keep things straight.
There is no easy way to moderate when members exspire and new members join with out people doing extra work in there spare time.
I think an open board is just easier to run. People change positions in the club to often to keep up wIth things some times. I think easy thing to get members is to have good events and hunts. Charge none members a fee to atten these funtions. The sports show has been good but takes a lot of volunteers. Is is not to easy some years to get volunteers to man the booth and set up and take down.

Carl:
Ernie, I understand what your saying I think. Time is certainly valuable and free time spent in the field is definitely priceless in my book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version