Predator Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Is it possible to call ground hogs ???

(1/2) > >>

Misterjake23:
     Perhaps this is a dumb question, but has anyone ever heard of calling groundhogs?  I know Foxpro makes a ground hog distress sound.  Has anyone ever tried it to actually call ground hogs or at least make them stand up like they do sometimes when you whistle???

Buckwheat:
Jake
I would be surprised if you can call them. The only sound they seam to make is that hi pitched sound when they are on alert or a death sound when being killed.
The reason I think you can not call them is because they are pray and there instinct is to run. Predators are predators and have a whole different behavior, Predators come to sounds for a free meal,.territory and maiting. They are the tough guys.  The FoxPro distressed ground hog sound would be for predators to get a free meal.

Misterjake23:
     I figured the same thing, but figured I'd throw it out there in case someone who had a secrete hog killing sound  to share. 

Hern:
I think you would be able to get any animal to stop and look with 'sounds'. Even a whistle will stop most animals for a moment or two.

Years back, I purchased a Groundhog Whistle. It did make 'em stand up for a shot and halt them when on the move. As with all calls, It wasn't sure fired, but worked under the right conditions.
A fella from the Altoona area made this call. I don't recall his name or the name of the call.
Mouth piece, tube, and slider was all brass.
Blew in one end and the other end had a slider. You worked the slider for a sharp whistle or longer whistle. I could make different pitches.
I could even make it sound like a child's toy, by going slow from high pitch to low pitch back to high pitch.

Several years ago, I heard FoxPro, Lewistown, Pa. had a Predator Call display in their lobby, made up of ole predator calls and such.
I thought it a good idea to loan my Groundhog Call to FoxPro for all to see.
They said they never heard of it or seen one and seemed excited to display it.
I even attached the original papers and how-to instructions with the call.

I never heard of a Groundhog distress sound, but that should make 'em pop their head out of hole or make 'em stand. If you have that sound, give it a try.

Buckwheat:
How are they going to hear the sound down there hole?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version