Predator Hunting > Varmint Hunting

2014 ground hog season

(1/10) > >>

bigben:
Who's tired of seeing snow and ready to smack some hogs? 

I got a new to me savage 116 25-06 late last summer for a project gun.  Just got dies and bullets for it.  Once it warms up a little bit gonna try to work a load up for it.  Still need to load about 100 rds of .223 and 50 rounds of 6.5x284 yet for the upcoming season.

The .223 usually gets the nod for close work 0-300.  This 25-06 is going to be my windy day gun.  At 300 a stiff breeze pushes that 50gr vmax around a bit.  Im loading 100 gr sierras for the 25-06 hoping to hit 3200fps.  The 6.5 shoots a 140gr amax for distance. 

Can't wait to spend some warmer times in the field.  Looking to stretch my longest shot past 500 this year.  I'm right at 472 I believe now. 

Deadeye:
I think i'll try some hog hunting this year. Do you sit along a tree line at a hay field and wait for them to show or do you call to them? Any info will be helpful..........Thanks

bigben:
I used to carry sticks and walk field edges waiting a half hour at each spot. Now i sit at locations that give me safe shots and bs with a friend till one shows or turn on the radio on my phone and enjoy the afternoon.  Here is sum of last years kills.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/bigben8011/final1_zps7d3da016.mp4

197 yd pistol kill.

coon hunter:
Thanks for sharing makes me want to go today.

Bowman66:
It can't thaw fast enough for me. It should be a fun spring and summer helping the farmers get rid of these vermin!
It's also a great selling point on a new farm to come back and predator hunt in the fall. The old back scratching saying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version