Author Topic: Groundhog Hunting 2013  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Groundhog Hunting 2013
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Well i''ve been out twice and no kills for the 22 mag..but still having a goodtime...I've noticed alot of foxes around my spot and maybe thats ,why the hogs are'nt comming out...my spot seems great for foxes when the season opens...guess i'll have to check out some of my other spots....Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Groundhog Hunting 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
Bowamn and Myself have been out quite a few times this year.  We've knocked down 16 so far this year.  Most of them have met their destiny between 5 and 6 pm.  We even spanked a few during the "heat wave".   Hang in there !!!  It's great practice and a good confidance builder for up coming fox shooting!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
I hear you brother..funny thing is..we've been hitting it early morning...maybe time for a late afternoon hunt..if the weather holds up....Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:47:41 AM »
     We tried a few mornings and never saw a single hog.  Everything we've killed has been between 5-7 pm.   Everything we've seen also died !
Jake
York, PA

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
My buddy and I have been hitting some farms and have nailed quite a few. Its been a size roller coaster....started popping big ones first early in season, then nothing but little things (normally 3-4 spotted at one time together), now we are back to big ones. Managed a few with my diseased 17 Hornet before shipping back to Savage for an overhaul. Then brought out the 243...I was on fire with that thing until I put 3 rounds down range at a very hefty hog lasered at 285. Miss...Miss....Miss. Sprayed him with dirt thats all. He was out again next visit...2 rounds fired...Miss..Miss....luckily I had been popping hogs in between or my confidence would be the only thing shot. Ran out of Hornady 243 so I've been toting the 223 since I had a few boxes of V-Max left.....The G'Hogs have been falling nicely on our farms this summer....just wish they had all been with the 17 Hornet along.....I really wanted to learn that rifle well before fox season and figured G'hogs would be the ticket...oh well, some of the kills were pretty long and way past what I would take with the 17 Hornet anyway...
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
  Don't under estimate that 17 hornet!!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
I don't underestimate it....but I like to be realistic. 20gr bullet in very uneven terrain and some wind could be tricky around 250-300yds. I basically will use it for fox...and yote if I get a clean chance no more than 100yds.

I called Savage earlier and they said my rifle shipped yesterday.....can't wait to slap that Nikon back on it and see if she is ready to roll...
Dan
Fairfield PA