Author Topic: Gun Mounted Lites  (Read 26549 times)

Offline Woodsman

Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »
Thanks for a job well done
Member: PPHA, NRA, USSA, NWTF

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »
Thanks to all the members that made this meeting. Thank You.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »
Graet job guys
I sure am thankful for your time you all put into this.

Rosko

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 02:35:15 PM »
without saying too much...as we are uncertain what the outcome will be.....

i must say, that the reception and enthusiasim from the two gentlemen from the Commission that met was real good. they were anxious to hear what we had to say and show them. we showed them all the configurations most predator hunters are using to illuminate and shoot with, without the safety of a light attached to a firearm. they listened with great interest, and they asked some very good questions to us and after it was all over...the four of us from the PPHA walked away feeling pretty optimistic.

i feel we are on the right path and we've started the ball rolling in the right direction.

i'd like to say more, but will hold off till we hear back from the Commission about what direction we need to go next.

thanks again Joe and Elwood, your presence at the meeting was immeasurable.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Posted Subject
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »
I attended the PGC Board of Commissioners meeting 04/17/2007 this morning in Harrisburg.

I was very surprised to hear the comments from the represenatitive of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs, Inc. that were presented to the Board of Commissioners on a Gun Mounted Light.

Their speaking represenatitve reported that the PFSC State delegates voted at their State Convention on the Gun Mounted Light recommendation. The vote ended in a tie and in that case they consider the recommendation as failed.  

I spoke to the represenatitive afterwards and asked what the delegates concerns were. It came down to some of the delegates bringing up the old issue of scanning, pointing a loaded rifle and identification of a target.

I explained the PPHA positon. how the light is used and all of the positive safety aspects of having a supplemental light on a gun. I also told him of the recent meeting & demonstration with the PGC Bureau of Wildlife Management and that the PPHA is awaiting a reply. I asked if it could be brought up again for discussion at a future PFSC meeting with PPHA members making a presenation and doing demonstration for the PFSC Trapping & Furbearer Hunting Committee. He is going to check into this request and see if it can be brought up again. The represenative also mentioned to me that he is a predator hunter and voted in favor of a gun mounted light. He felt in his opinion, that if the T & F Committee had some additional information before hand, the delegates would have had a better understanding of the recommendation.

I also spoke with the PGC Legislative Liaison and he informed me that a new Bill that deals with the use of a light; Bill No.881 Session of 2007 was introduced on March 22, 2007.  

Here is a summary of the newly proposed changes to the Bill:

Section 2310. Unlawful use of lights while hunting.

(b) Exceptions.-- The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
     (1)   A person on foot who uses a flashlight or spotlight held in the hand or worn on the head if the sole source of power for the light is contained in the light or on the person to take furbearers.

You can view the entire content of HB881 by typing in the Bill Number at www.legis.state.pa.us

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
What could have factored in here is the timing of this vote. The morning after   (Virginia Tech shooting.)
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

HB881 does not reflect coyotes in number 13 & 14
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:34 PM »
I took a look at the HB881 text.  Notice that it does not reflect the word coyote in numbers 13 & 14.  It relfects racoon,  skunks, foxs and opossum only.

I hope we will be able to hunt coyotes at night with a light??????

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 05:30:04 AM »
Buckwheat says-
There will be further discussion and ideas gathered at the next PPHA meeting.
When and where is the next PPHA Meeting?

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Posted subject
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 07:04:18 AM »
Th Pennsylvania Game Commission, Board of Commissioners only heard testimony from the public yesterday. They did not take any action nor did  they turn it down.

The recommendation was voted on and turned down by the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Club  delegates at their State
Convention. This was the PFSC stance on the recommendation.

In my view we are still in the running on the light issue. Suggest that the PPHA contact the Bureau of Wildlife Enforcement and check to see if any decision was made on their part on the presentation and demo that was done.

Comments, pro or con have to be submitted by the PPHA and it members to the House Game & Fish Committee and our local representatives in regard to HB 881, otherwise if they decide to move on the Bill it will be sent to the floor as written for a vote . The underlined sentences in the Bill are what is being proposed to be changed.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »
Hern, our next officers meeting is on Tuesday the 24th. we have monthly meetings via internet-conference type call. all officers have headphones with microphones attached and hook up to their computers and log into a secured server. its almost like an internet chat site without all the typing.
sure beats emailing and calling everyone all the time...saves money and milage for all officers to meet and talk whenever need arrises outside of designated meeting dates. everyone can speak their minds and discuss matters very efficiently.

as for the Gun Mounted Light issue being shot down :? ...we will discuss our options on the 24th. i was as surprised as the rest of you....we will continue to pursue this as best we can. :wink:
- Channing Pollock

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:48 PM »
just to point out something it was only voted down by the PHSC  not the PGC.  :wink:
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
i was informed of this earlier today....i think i jumped to conclusions too quickly, simply because i'm still wet behind the ears to all this legislation protocol and formality...but i'm learning quickly. the light issue is still on the table.....no worries just yet everyone.
Buckwheat made some calls today and will briefly fill everyone in sometime soon as to what is going on..........
- Channing Pollock

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
Gun Mounted Lites
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »
Thats some good news Buckwheat

Good luck guys, I think your doing a great job for everyone.

Rosko