Author Topic: Bill Austin "The Call Of The Coyote" CD narrated by Randy Anderson  (Read 6737 times)

uncle buck

Bill Austin is the Father of Coyote Vocalization!!Randy Anderson narrates a CD and the Late Bill Austin does the coyote vocalization..  Bill is no longer with us of course... Randy explains each of Bills coyote vocalization on the CD and also give valuable info on when and where you should use the coyote vocalization and food sounds..

I have had the CD for awhile now... It came with a couple of Bill Austin PVC open reed calls.   

Neat thing is to take video or a CD that you have had for years... Then listen to it now.. You catch things that you did not catch when you were a bit new into coyote hunting..  For example the Domain Call...wow now that I have been calling coyotes the Domain Call is a lot easier to make.. Nothing more than a Coyote Challenge with  the howl a bit drawn out... Coyote Challenge... Two barks and a short howl...(howl about 6 seconds)... Coyote Domain...Two barks and a howl with a duration about 10-12 seconds...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Bill Austin "The Call Of The Coyote" CD narrated by Randy Anderson
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Is the domain howl used for calling the alpha's or the under dogs?I don't know if I can hold a howl for 10 seconds.Kind of like that firehouse howl that Randy spoke of,only with two barks to start.Should you stay away from barks as being to threatening or are they OK in some cases?

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
IMO...I stay away from barks...many people me included don't know when a bark they make is really a WUFF.. Coyotes hear the Wuff and that means danger... there are barks of Joy and Wuff of danger.  The only time that I will use a bark is when doing the Coyote Challenge  and that's usually at the 35 minute mark on the calling stand...I will try the Domain Call now that I kind of understand what it really is..  You should start with the Interrogation Howl...Then you go to the Domain Call, and then to the Coyote Challenge... each are a bit more aggressive.. The Coyote Challenge is really for the Alpha coyotes...Reading everything I can get my hands on...Research papers etc...Researcher claimed that in the Pecking order... Charley's could care less if another coyote has come into the area... However the Alpha's and the Beta or sometimes people call them Bravo.. will get so upset that other coyotes have come into the area that they will come in to drive them out..

The only thing that I disagree about from Bill Austin method is:  He claimed that coyote vocalization  only brings the coyotes in 300 to 200 yards away...Then a hunter should use a coaxer call to get them to come in... IMO I have found out that here in Pa...The coyote vocalization will call them right to you...Funny....I was hunting with my brother and nephew... I did two Interrogation Howls.. two coyotes came in to us withing 30 seconds..   There we are all with shotguns because of houses and there are two coyotes holding up at the 70 yard mark.. Just looking at us.. Had the house not been there behind this field.  We could have taken a well placed rifle shot and got at least one of them... 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
So its ok to bark for a challenge or domain howl just don't do a bark by itself?I know I probably do to much barking,it's a bad habit I need to break.Does a kiyi have any value.Whats the difference between a kiyi and coyote distress?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
Uncle Buck, What did you think of Bill Austins open reed calls?Do they have a small or large air channel?

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
The Austin PVC open reed calls are hard to use... What I do to make them work easier is you don't hold them in a grip...Just let them lay in your hand with little or no tension on them and they do make good music then...I do have the three different PVC calls.. As you know the wider the reed the harder for you to make it work..IMO I think the Austin calls are not for a beginner..However you have to start sometime... How are you going to learn how to use them if you don't own them?

The KIYI IMO is the same as the coyote distress....The people who sell electronic calls and these sounds just call them by different names..
The higher the pitch that would be a female or young... Deeper pitch of course is the male. Coyote vocal made at the tip of the call are of course the female and pups..Holding you mouth and teeth on the reed 1/2 way in and deeper are the male sounds..

Buy yourself a Crit-R-Call Song Dog open reed call.. It comes with a book that explains about the barks and the wuffs.

You can buy it, the book separate too but that cost $7.50.  My as well get an outstanding open reed call with and pay just a bit more..The Song Dog come in Orange for night time calling (if you drop it) or sand color for daytime.. I use the orange in the daytime too.

http://www.critrcall.com

http://www.critrcall.com/page/1r97q/Products/Books.html
Here is the link for the book I speak of:

Here is the link for the book and Song Dog:  $20.00 you get both!!

http://www.critrcall.com/page/1r8a6/Products/Predator_Calls.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:53:17 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
Here is the Bill Austin CD that is narrated by randy Anderson I posted on... You can get the CD alone or with the Bill Austin open reed calls. Again I warn you IMO  the Bill Austin PVC calls are hard to use but fun to be accomplished on them..

CD:
http://www.callingcoyotes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=95&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Click on the Bill Austin key on the side if you want to see the CD with call  Kits or just the calls too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:17:38 PM by uncle buck »