Author Topic: All day turkey hunting starts tomorrow  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
All day turkey hunting starts tomorrow
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
I have never hunted turkey after 12 noon
What ideas does any body have on hunting them the rest of the day?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: All day turkey hunting starts tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
Most of the turkeys I have been seeing are eating insects in fields in the middle of the day. Probably better to hunt the edges of the woods. More food for them in the fields now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:13:43 PM by foxpro51 »

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
From my experience with turkeys...Things I have observed while hunting predators and grouse... They like to cross where ever there is a bend in the road... So...That what I would do..Maybe just sit where you could be in the woods just off the bend in the road...or trail..Maybe just maybe you could get them working their way back to their roost?????

Probably one of the reason I never hunted Gobbler that much... The short hunting period only morning and having to get up at 4:00 AM to get to where they were roosting...Now that it's and all day thing I just might get out once or twice..However in the back of my mind...I'm going to be really thinking...."COYOTES!"

Also  will give you a bit of time to play with the coyote brains in your hunting areas...

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:44:25 PM »
The only problem hunting coyotes now is they might be still feeding off mom. Take a female now and you could wipe out the litter. I expect hunting them in July and august would be safer.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:46:36 PM by foxpro51 »

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
Some people who have never lived with coyotes claim that if you kill one of the parents of the litter to early the remaining parent through stress to raise the young will become a livestock killer... Here in Pa I have found out that they will kill sheep no matter if one or both alive... They need that protein for the sheep so they go in for a quick kill.. Same with the fawns... They know the doe have dropped the fawns and this is when most of the coyotes kill deer.. The fawns..   Sheep should start to get hammered begining right now..

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
I can't really ever buy the "save the young of the year" argument. If you wait til july you're killing next years litter that would be born?  amirite?   Just don't get it. I mean especially with coyotes/varmints. Kinda the point is population control. Maybe I'm totally off base here. Who knows?

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
Kinda the point is population control. Maybe I'm totally off base here. Who knows? Thats how I see it...