Author Topic: Finally some nice weather for an extended period  (Read 5981 times)

uncle buck

Finally some nice weather for an extended period
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
Weather forecast is looking good.. I have wanted to shoot a lot this year... The rains and the windy conditions have really hurt some of my goals to-date... But!!!!!!This week SCPA is going to have some nice weather..  Nice too that you can now hunt chucks even during the morning gobbler season if you desire..So....I am going to try to make every effort to get out and do some serious wood chuck hunting and also shoot 999, 223 reloads with the 50 grain Ballistic Silver Tips.. I want to shoot the Savage Edge and my 24 V...hey...before you know it...It will be time to hunt fox again and I want to be ready to pop quite a few at long distances if need be... This wind....reminds me of March and here it's already May.. Just a weird year of all kind of weather records being broken... So nice to see the the extended forecast for this week with no rain.. Now I didn't check the wind velocity. hoping that it's not up there again to 30 MPH.   

uncle buck

Re: Finally some nice weather for an extended period
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
Ah the wind is still blowing to hard to fire the reloads for effect... I think we need a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ul7sYUGvbg&feature=related

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:09:26 AM by uncle buck »

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:34:05 PM »
what caliber do u have that savage edge in i was looking at getting one of those in 22-250 they are priced really reasonably and hows the quality of the gun seem is it a nice gun or just what you think it would be for the price

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
The Savage Edge...223 is the one that I won at the PPHA Expo in September.. This particular one is the combo of course and it comes with the 3 X 9 Power Scope mounts and rings... As you know they don't make the Edge anymore... They have since gone to the same gun but stop using the name Edge because someone else already uses that for a product?????????

If I was going to buy a 22250...I would get the T/C Venture combo package... Camo gun, mounts, and T/C scope 3 X 9 power and a Foxpro Spitfire caller... I heard tell that you can get one for $550.00.  Now see you could sell the Foxpro too if you already have the Spitfire.  Also...T/C gun rate of twist for all of their .224 guns is 1:12 not 1:14 like many of the other 22250's.  See you would end up with an awesome deer gun if you used the Partition 60 grain bullets...  I have shot them in my T/C 22250 Encore barrel and they shoot tight groups... I use IMR 4350 powder.  I will have to post what the grainage is should other people want to use the 22250 for deer.. I also heard that the Partition 60 grainers are an outstanding bullet for coyotes too...   

Offline a bolt

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
I have a savage edge in 22-250 mine shoots real well.3\4 inch group at 100 yds.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
Cabelas had them T\C venture packages for a good price but were sold out of them when I called to check the availability. I always wanted to try them guns. Never tried the edge, but it's on my 'to try' list. Thinking about getting one in the 22-250.

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys I'm gonna wait till after summer to get one anyways so who knows what else I'll find out or stumble across till then lol

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »
It was a nice evening to hunt chucks....!!!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:09:38 AM »
i just bought the T/C Venture package in the 22.250 shot the gun a lot this past weekend.  groups really nice and shot both winchester bullets i was using well.  45 grain hollow point at about 4000 fps and 55 grain soft point at about 3700 fps.  Forrest shot a shotball at 100 yards with the soft point and it went completely through leaving about a quarter sized exit.  i shot one with the 45gr hollow point and it splashed on the ball. 

the trigger pull on the T/C is very crisp.  you get a lot of gun for the money.  Forrest has a savage weather warrior and i have the TC, both guns are very nice and shoot about the same.   But the Savage was a lot more money.  i don't think you can beat the price of the T/C package, my gun shop has two left, 204 and a 223. 

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
How much is that .204 at your gun shop ? And your talking about the package deal right?

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
Scott nice to hear that the 22250's are shooing well... As discussed many a time...The T/C 1:12 Twist will also allow you to use this gun for deer season....  Reloaders....Nosler Partition 60 grainers with 38 grains of IMR 4350 powder, Federal 210 primers, OAL 2.350,  1 inch groups at 100 yards.. I'm sure if I set the bullet just .20 thousandths behind the rifling the groups would even get smaller..  I didn't have the Hornady seating gauges prior to so next time around I will seat the bullet based on my particular gun chamber not the Nosler web link info on the OAL ..

I have seen an article that recommended the use of the 60 grain Partition for coyotes too... Might be a fur friendly gun?

Federal sales it as a factory round:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=202

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:59:06 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
How much is that .204 at your gun shop ? And your talking about the package deal right?

yes the T/C predator package with the spitfire. 

$540

Offline predator94

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »
Man that's a heck of deal I'll have to see if I can get myself to spending that much on a package got a few other things I'd like to have too though gotta pick and choose when your 16 and got other expenses and not as much funds lol

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
While at Cabelas in Hamburg today...I checked their factory ammo... They did have the Nosler Partiton 60 grainer on the shelf for the 22250 and the 223.  The 22250 was expensive about $35.00 for a box of 20 and the 223 was only $28.00.. See this is when reloading pays off..The .224, 60 grain Partiton bullet (box of 50) for reloading  was $24.99.  If you have the IMR 4350 powder already, the large rifle primers and the cases you could save a lot of money on reloading..  See most of us already use the IMR 4350 powder for reloading other ammo like the 3006.